Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Upgraded to Unlimited and speed has reverted from ADSL2+ to ADSLMax

Go to solution

Good evening all,

I've been with BT for about a year and in March I got an e-mail giving me the good news that our exchange has been upgraded and I should have faster speeds.

All good, I went from 5.77/0.36 to 7.82/0.87 overnight.  Connection was more stable and consistent than ever, I was very happy.

So happy in fact, that I called BT to upgrade from option 2 to option 3 and renew for a year to boot.

This took place on 9th May, all well and good, BUT!  Connection has reverted to it's old speed, synced at 448 Kbps - suggesting that my line has reverted to ADSLMax.

Am I right in my assumption and if so - should I expect it to go back up after the 10 day period or what do I do?

I had a chat with BT biut the assistant was confusing my question of "ADSL2+ or ADSLMax?" and thought I was asking what broadband option I was on.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?  It doesn't seem logical that they'd 'reset' my connection when all I'd done was uopgrade from option 2 to option 3.

Thanks for listening 🙂

Maf.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Upgraded to Unlimited and speed has reverted from ADSL2+ to ADSLMax

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

I would not expect your connection to revert to adslmax after it was upgraded to 21CN.  waiting 10 days won't help

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, imjolly.

>>

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:37:31
Downstream:7.344 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.6 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):38.9 dB / 23.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):117 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

There's my ADSL dump.

BT Speedtest diagnostics;

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 6.74 Mbps

0 Mbps7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.74 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 6.63 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.34 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

--

I'm plugged into the master socket, (Openreach logo'd) with no extension lead.  The same setup has been in place for all of my time with BT, nothing has changed except for the connection speed at the end of my upgrade day.

It's the only used phone socket in the house.

Quiet line test is silent with DECT phone.

--

Thanks for your help!

Maf

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

you need to contact the mods to get your connection back to adsl2/2+ - it will not revert automatically

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly,

I've done that and await with baited breath!

Cheers for your assistance.

Maf.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

no problem

post back and keep updated as may help others

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Hi,

No response yet from my contact to the mods.  Router still synced at 448Kbps up, have just restarted it too, to no avail.

Will post any updates.

Mods - can you shed any light please?

Maf.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

mods will contact you but there have been many referrals recently so maybe taking a bit longer - also remember it is working days so weekends don't count

did you also check junk folder as emails sometimes end up there

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Nothing in junk and no contact yet.

I'll hold off talking to generic support as I got nowhere before as I say - and I don't want to confuse the issue.

However, if I don't hear from mods here - is there something I should request?  I wouldn't know how to word it - 'Line regrade'? or what?

Thanks for your attention with this imjolly!

Maf.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

I would not contact CS but leave it for mods to contact you.  if nothing by tomorrow then send and email to mods using the contact mods link.  you need to post the link in the email so mods will read that an know what problem is.  just stick with it mods will help 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

0 Ratings