cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Upgrading BT TV with Quickline Broadband

My Exchange only has ADSL2 and no plans to go Fibre so my BT Broadband is only 3.5Mb on a good day so cannot upgrade my BT TV package to the Max one (which needs 15Mb minimum). It says 'cannot proceed with order because of where you live'.

So I am changing my broadband package to a local wi-fi company Quickline and this will give an average 17Mb (up to 30Mb) something that BT cannot achieve.

Question is this: Will BT accept my upgrade to BT TV Max when I am plugged in to this new provider on 17MB when it thinks I am only receiving 3.5Mb?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upgrading BT TV with Quickline Broadband

@JG64

I'm afraid this won't work for you.

BT TV uses multicast technology which is only available on a landline connected to an Openreach exchange.

You will also lose your current limited BT TV service when you switch to the Wi-Fi provider.

Message 3 of 10

AFAIK, to get BTTV you have to be a BT broadband customer, so  changing ISP may get you the speed you require, you presumably then fail to qualify as not being a BT Broadband customer...if you keep BTB and add Quickline (so pay for two services) you probably still cannot upgrade to BTTV Max as BT will still use the BT broadband speed , not Quickline, plus chances are even if they relented, upped your package to 'max' and sent you a compatible set top box, and you  then connected the BTTV STB to Quickline chances are it wouldn't work anyway, and if it didn't would you expect them to release you penalty free or would you happily pay for something you cannot use....TBH, I can see why they will just say 'No , sorry'

Message 4 of 10

@iniltouswrote:

AFAIK, to get BTTV you have to be a BT broadband customer, so  changing ISP may get you the speed you require, you presumably then fail to qualify as not being a BT Broadband customer...if you keep BTB and add Quickline (so pay for two services) you probably still cannot upgrade to BTTV Max as BT will still use the BT broadband speed , not Quickline, plus chances are even if they relented, upped your package to 'max' and sent you a compatible set top box, and you  then connected the BTTV STB to Quickline chances are it wouldn't work anyway

No - as I said above the BT TV STB only works using the multicast service that is provided only over the BT landline.

There is a multicast router sitting in the exchange that provides the TV services which you can only access via your landline connection. The wi-fi connection from the other provider cannot 'see' it.

Message 5 of 10

Thank you for the quick responses. Although they havnt been good reading! I must explain the Quickline system to you, they are a local company taking advantage of BT not giving Fibre to all Exchanges, well street boxes. They have put 4 antennas on our local church spire and that is where the Wi-fi part of the system comes from, line of sight wi-fi specifically. but they do then have a router in the home and ethernet from it so if that is plugged in to the youview box surely that is enough?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

No, because the broadband won't be BT broadband it will be their own backhaul.

Message 7 of 10

Thank you, seems I will be a victim of trying to remain loyal to BT when villages no more than a mile either side get fibre and they won't pay out the extra mile to our houses. Our household cannot cope on 3.5Mb anymore. I bet everyone who has answered gets much more.

I will switch my TV to Sky

Thank you for all your responses, I appreciate your expertise on this subject

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

• @Colin_Londonwrote:

@iniltouswrote:

AFAIK, to get BTTV you have to be a BT broadband customer, so  changing ISP may get you the speed you require, you presumably then fail to qualify as not being a BT Broadband customer...if you keep BTB and add Quickline (so pay for two services) you probably still cannot upgrade to BTTV Max as BT will still use the BT broadband speed , not Quickline, plus chances are even if they relented, upped your package to 'max' and sent you a compatible set top box, and you  then connected the BTTV STB to Quickline chances are it wouldn't work anyway

No - as I said above the BT TV STB only works using the multicast service that is provided only over the BT landline.

There is a multicast router sitting in the exchange that provides the TV services which you can only access via your landline connection. The wi-fi connection from the other provider cannot 'see' it.

Not sure what I posted is wrong or inaccurate , if the OP changed provider they cannot have BTTV , if they kept the BTBB , also purchased Quickline, and then tried to run BTTV over Quickline it wouldn't work ( for the multicast reasons you gave, this would be the case with standard BTTV as well as the 'Max' version ) and even in the unlikely event BT could be persuaded by the OP to send them a 4K STB required for 'Max' , I asked if they would be happy to pay for something they couldn't actually use...., both you and I said 'No', to the OP's question , something the OP has accepted.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Sorry @iniltous for being a bit forthright with the 'no'. I was just trying to indicate that it was a definite, absolute, 'no it won't work'. You had an 'AFAIK', 'Presumably', 'Probably' and some 'Chances are' in your reply.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@JG64 - sorry couldn't give better news. BT has accepted a government decision that everyone should get at least 10Mbps by the end of 2020 but understand that you might not want to trust in that, and that still might not be enough for a full BT TV package.

There are legal third party providers of channels on the open internet (obviously not going to name them in a BT forum) but personally I wouldn't rely on a wifi connection for a good viewing experience. So you have probably decided correctly for your TV provider.
0 Ratings