cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NonHubUser
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Upgrading to BT Infinity - using 3rd Party Modem/Router - do any settings need to change??

I am frustrated beyond belief!

I have ordinary BT Broadband and it works quite happily with my recent/modern Netgear D6400 modem/router.

(The Netgear D6400is less than a year old, is VDSL compatible and DOES work with Infinity as other web sites/postings confirm).

I am being upgraded to BT Infinity tomorrow (Fibre to the cabinet NOT the home).

I do NOT want to use the BT Smart Hub that has been sent to me.

Nowhere can I get or find a definitive statement on whether ANY settings on my router need to change - or not!

Three chat sessions, two phone calls and the web help pages give confusing, contradictory or just plain obsolete information!

Two chat sessions suggested I use PPPoE (as now with ordinary broadband service) but others say one needs to switch to PPPoA!

One phone call said "Nothing changes, you will probably have to switch off your router and after a while switch it back on again ... but not settings change". The next one said "You do need to change some settings but I can't tell you what they are"!

Elsewhere some say one has to select VLAN and so on ... and on!

Please, assuming my device is compatible, where is there a definitive statement of change or no chnage of settings OR a listing of the correct  settings? (I am perfectly capable of logging into my router and changing these - I just need to know what they are!)

Any help anywhere?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
yamster
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Upgrading to BT Infinity - using 3rd Party Modem/Router - do any settings need to change??

Hi,

You will need to go to internet settings and change DSL mode to PTM and VDSL2 then set the VLAN to 101. Tick the box which says user a username and password and then use the following

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

If you use the following manual

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6400/D6400_UM_19Oct2015.pdf

Page 59 is what you want.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 12

Re: Upgrading to BT Infinity - using 3rd Party Modem/Router - do any settings need to change??

If it doesn't connect on changeover just use the netgear genie.

All you need is the user name: btInternet@btbroadband.com

If the router requires a password as well just use BT.

The genie will take care of all other settings.

EDIT: You will notice @yamster has posted a different user name this is because you can use anything before @btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
NonHubUser
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

yamster and pippinn

Many thanks! I will try this tomorrow - but just to double check, you are saying that once I have been notified of the upgrade being ready/available:

a) Either - I log into router and re-run the Netgear Genie - which should work (and switch me from oridnary broadband to Infinity service/speed)

or

b) Go in an modify the settings indicated

As an existing BT ordinary broadband customer/user, why should I need to re-enter or change my log in details? Won't these stay the same? Or is it that they don't stay (persist) in the router as the Genie wipes and resets?  (Forgive me asking this as when I installed the device originally I didn't use the Genie but went the "macho" (and probably mistaken) route of doing the settings myself! 😉

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 12

Once you start the genie if it has lost/wiped your details it will ask for them otherwise it will carry on and setup your connection.

0 Ratings
NonHubUser
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Thanks!
0 Ratings
NonHubUser
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

PS If anyone from BT reads this, I have emailed Gavin Patterson (MD of BT!) to suggest this is a waste of everyone's time - why not just post these details somewhere clearly, simply and obviously!?

I realise most will simply plug in the Smart Hub and let it do it's thing ... but I've got all sorts of existing setting and connections which I do not wish to replace or change ... and I am not alone!

There must be thousands of people in a similar position and this wastes so much customer and BT staff time!

There WAS a BT Help article that had the settings but it seems to have been deleted or hidden and no amount of searching using the BT search will show it.

Even if one can use a Genie type wizard, why not simply publish a page with the specific settings BT???

Or am I making the mistake of thinking they want to serve their customers???

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 12

BT do not support 3rd party routers.

0 Ratings
NonHubUser
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Completely understand they do not "support" 3rd party routers.

But, for use at one's own risk and effort, surely it would not be unreasonable for them to publish the settings!?

They're not anything unique or proprietary ...

0 Ratings
NonHubUser
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Re: using  the Netgear Genie Wizard - this maybe a very dumb question but if one runs this to do the fresh instalaltion once one has been told Infinity is enabled:

Does it "KNOW" - and if so how - that there is a higher speed (Infinity) service available and not just re-do the slower, ordinary, standard, broadband installation?

Is it a "negotiation" between cabinet and modem to see what is available and then choosing the fastest?

0 Ratings