cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morgen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Upgrading to better speeds after exchange upgraded to ADSL2?

Hey,

My exchange has been marked as on the 21NC for probably close to a year now however I never got a speed boost after the upgrade. I figured my download speed might not of changed because of the SNR but my upload speed should of? So I assume the speed is still capped at the "upto 8Mb"?

DSL Modulation Mode:G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DSL Path Mode:FAST
Downstream Rate:5280 Kbps
Upstream Rate:448 Kbps
Downstream Margin:12 db
Upstream Margin:23 db

Switching modem to to regular ADSL results in roughly the same speeds.

DSL Modulation Mode:G.992.1 (G.DMT)
Downstream Rate:5504 Kbps
Downstream Margin:10 db
Upstream Margin:

23 db

So anyway to change from ADSLMax to ADSL2+ speeds? I'm quite a old customer so I have my own network equipment and only have a first gen BT Homehub laying around somewhere.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Guru
Message 2 of 34

Re: Upgrading to better speeds after exchange upgraded to ADSL2?

What modem are you using?

Check the multimode box, let the dslam set the standard, and post linestats pls.

0 Ratings
Morgen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Using a Linksys AM200 modem. When you let the DSLAM set the mode unfortunately it doesn't actually tell me what mode it is in.

DSL Status:UP
DSL Modulation Mode:Auto
Downstream Rate:6016 Kbps
Downstream Margin:12 db
Upstream Margin:23 db
Downstream Line Attenuation:41
Upstream Line Attenuation:23
Downstream Transmit Power:19
Upstream Transmit Power:12
LOS Errors:0

As far as I know a 'multimode box' is only present with fiber?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 34

my netgear has mode choices one of which is multimode and not for fibre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Morgen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 34

Ah, yeah. The use of the word box threw me off. Multimode = Auto setting on AM200 according to Linksys.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 34

normally BT will send you an email advising that your exchnage has been upgraded and then followed later by one about line being upgraded.  However this could be weeks/months after the exchnage has been upgraded.  In many cases like yours people have managed to get upgraded to 21CN by renewing their contract and making sure part or the agreement is upgrade to 21CN.

If you try this and after upgrade still no 21CN then you can ask the mods for assistance

I would use the options number for renewing making sure you are armed with the costs from other ISPs to negotiate your deal 

options team 0800 800 030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Morgen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 34

It's probably been atleast 6 months since the exchange has been enabled and no letter. I would like to avoid renewing the contract because my exchange was announce for FTTC next year and I want to jump on that ASAP.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 34

If you don't want to renew your contract then you will need to wait until BT rollout the upgrade to customers on the exchange - could be weeks/months before that happens but that way there is no need for new contract.  If your exchange does get FTTC next year and you intend to use BT then you can just upgrade at that time wthout a problem

0 Ratings
Morgen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 34

Sounds like lots of hassle for a speed increase that may or may not come so I guess I will wait for BT to get themselves together and sort it out.

The billing section say I'm on BT Total Broadband Option 3 which says "Up to 16Mb download speeds" right on the billing site to.

Never clean and simple with BT these days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 34

as it says 'up to'Smiley Wink

0 Ratings