cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Venomx
Expert
Message 1 of 11

Upload is faster than download?

Im connecting to a bt wifi with fon hot spot, on speedtest.net the downstream is 2.2Mbps and upload is 8.8Mbps.
Why is this?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Upload is faster than download?

The hotspot is on someones router, must be at least infinity 1 from the figures. The users own data is prioritised, with only spare capacity available for the hotspot. So if they are using most of the download capacity and little of the upload, that is what you would see.

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the response.  Does the owner set a certain amount of bandwidth to be shared in their router settings?

Im asking because the d/l is usually 1-3mbps throughout the day, im waiting on my router to be delivered as ivr signed up to infinity 1 and hope i get thr 52mbps min. Speed.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I think there is a maximum download speed of 10mbps on Bt Fon etc. but as has been said it will very much depend upon the usage of that hub owner. I have not seen anywhere where the owner can limit the bandwith themselves. Would be interesting to know what algorithms BT use for the BT Fon sharing.

As to what speed you will actually get when your router is delivered you will be lucky to get the full 52mbps but you never know. Depends on lots of other matters such as how far you are away from the BT main box in the street, e.g. you normally have copper cabling from there so the greater the distance the slower the speed, I have Infinity 2 for instance which is advertised as up to 76mbps but I get 60mbps and that was only recently after a visit from the engineer to clear up the line and I live in the centre of a major city. Before an engineer visit I was lucky to get 50mbps.

I assume BT gave you an estimate of the expected speed when you purchased Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 5 of 11

**bleep**, i thought the whole point of fibre optic was that it doesnt matter how far you are from the exchange thus giving a high consistent speed.

Bt sent an email to me after i ordered saying to expect a minimum speed of 52mbps

"

"How fast will it be?

We estimate your download speed will be between 54Mb and 55Mb, and your upload speed will be between 9Mb and 10Mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 52Mb"

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@Venomx

Unless you have a direct fibre into your house (FTTP), your line is only served by a copper cable from a fibre cabinet, so that limits the speed.

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 7 of 11

I might do, i live on an estate that was created less than 10 years ago? 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Venomx wrote:

I might do, i live on an estate that was created less than 10 years ago? 

You should know, as fibre terminates on an ONT like this

ont.jpg

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 9 of 11

Is that a router?

Btw im 1.5 miles from the exchange ( as thr crow flies )  is this good or bad?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

No its an Optical modem. Distance to the exchange is irrelevant, it is distance to the green cabinet that matters for FTTC and distance doesn't matter at all with FTTP.

0 Ratings