cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Upload speed cap?

Go to solution

My download speed varies quite a bit but sometimes get close to the claimed BT speed test profile of around half Infinity 2 capability. My upload speed hardly varies at all from just below 7 Mbit/s which is very far below the claimed profile of 20 Mbit/s. Is it likely that my upload speed is artificially capped? Wired or wireless connection makes no difference.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Upload speed cap?

Go to solution
may be the tester your using
upload tests seem to be limited by most testers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Exactly as Bullitt says.  Try http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html for the most reliable upload tests.  At one point when I had high latency, I was getting upload of 17Mbps but BT tester was saying 6 to 8Mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the link but the result is consistently the same as all the other speed tests. It doesn't look like a speed test issue to me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
What was your estimated upload speed?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Wired or wireless connection makes no difference.  Just checking.  If these were to the same machine, when you run wired test, did you ensure that the wireless was turned off/not connected?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I don't have an estimate for the upload speed, I simply applied for the upgrade to Infinity 2 when it became available. At that time the BT speed tester was not giving reliable results so it wasn't much help. I tried a series of tests with it and they were all over the place, sometimes failing completely.

Using the new link I get this result:-

This is a 21CN line.

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 41.57 Mbps

The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

So I get close to the downstream rate but nowhere near the upstream. It is the way that the upstream rate is always the same that makes me think it might be a cap of some sort.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

To get the estimate for upload speed, goto http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017, type your telephone number in the box a little down the page, press 'Check Now' and see what it says.

If the estimate around 10, then maybe the 7 upload you are seeing is probably all you will see.  I don't think the upload profile changes with DLM in the same way the download profile does, so a profile of 20 might not be telling much.  It does confirm the Infinity 2 package though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@steephill27 wrote:

I don't have an estimate for the upload speed, I simply applied for the upgrade to Infinity 2 when it became available. At that time the BT speed tester was not giving reliable results so it wasn't much help. I tried a series of tests with it and they were all over the place, sometimes failing completely.

Using the new link I get this result:-

This is a 21CN line.

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 41.57 Mbps

The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

So I get close to the downstream rate but nowhere near the upstream. It is the way that the upstream rate is always the same that makes me think it might be a cap of some sort.

Based on some recent experience with BT, I would say that your upload speed has been capped.  I suggest you email BT and ask for an explanation of why it has been capped and request it is removed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Outcome and thanks

Go to solution

Thanks to Moderator Craig Stockdale I have had a very comprehensive examination of this issue. 3 sets of engineers visited and tested every pole and duct in the village so I can rest secure in the knowledge that all possible sources of fault have been looked at including trying type A and B Homehubs. I now have a nice new line from the pole to my house as part of these efforts, bypassing about 20 metres of 50 year old cabling in their attempts to eliminate possible sources of effors (didn't help sadly).

However I am back where I started speedwise despite BT and Openreach's best efforts. Unfortunately the issue turns out to be the dreaded aluminium cable in the circuit and there is no prospect of that being changed any time soon. FTTP might be coming our way in the next couple of years so I am stuck till then. At least I now know what the problem is.

Craig also helped sort out a problem with my email account which arose from problems with the initial install of Infinity. As this was preventing me from accessing BT Wifi this is a very good result.

Overall the response from BT etc. was first class and I really appreciate the substantial effort that went in. One engineer worked from 8:30am till 6pm in atrocious weather to get me running again after the line failed completely. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!