cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 83

Upload speed seems fine, download speed suddenly really bad ?

I've run out of ideas,

I use a Cisco Linksys X2000 and my BT conneciton has always been good up until three days ago. I am not loosing connection but my download speed is extremely poor. Normally i can happily stream 1080p on youtube or enjoy Iplayer in HD from my 14mb downstream / 1mb upstream. Now i only get 0.49mb down /0.91mb up so even web browsing is really poor, youtube wont work unless i use 144p quality which is just hopeless.

I've disconnected cordless phones / used an old corded phone on the line instead.

I tried the home hub 3.0 which BT sent me when i joined because it's required for the BT speed check.

I tried the tap3test where you change the username and do the test but this never worked.

I've taken some screenshots of what i can do on PC. It's not an issue with my computer because there are 2 xbox consoles also on cat5 and a laptop on ndraft and the internet download speed is terrible.

I've had a look at the wiring / swapped the dsl filter for a spare and looked at the master socket and i cannot see anything wrong there.

Luckily i signed up to a short contract with BT broadband. Though i have had to pay £15.00 a month it's up on the 11th so i will likely change internet and phone for something cheaper.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

0 Ratings
82 REPLIES 82
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 83

Re: Upload speed seems fine, download speed suddenly really bad ?

Can you post the adsl stats from your router and also run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results

Are you connected to test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 83

Am i doing the correct test ? The screenshots are the only BT tests that i found. I have a very old test socket, must be over a decade old easily got the older piper logo on it lol. Took the front off with the 2 screws, connected to the test socket and ran the tap3test ? On the homehub the username is changed to  speedtest@speedtest_domain and on the hub it appears to be connected ok but my web browser just loads and eventually i get "server not found".

Untitled-100.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 83

I have never managed ti get the 3rd test to work and I would not bother with that - the main test is the diagnostic test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 83

Was the btspeedtester results done from test socket using a wired connection?

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 83

Are any problems showing at your exchange these links may help you
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 83

For the broadband speed test i just entered my phone number and did the test (had to use the home hub to do this)and that was not done on the test socket. I only tried the test socket for the further diagnostics tap3test under the speed test username on the home hub. So should i connect back to the test socket and perform the test again ?

I just checked those links. There appears to be problems with Infinity in my neighbouring town (Dover) on the bt business page but there is nothing wrong in my town. Did the line test which came back ok and checked the exchange links you put up and nothing to report. Thanks for the help so far.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 83

If you can connect to test socket with a new filter and leave it there for a few days . Then run diagnostic test with cable connection and post results please

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 83

you really need to post your adsl stats and the speedtest while connected to the test socket
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 83

Okay, thanks for the response ijolly and john i got a bit confused and thought the test socket was only for the tap test or whatever it is.

I'm out of time for now but tomorrow i will connect the filter back to the test socket and see what happens over the next couple of days Cat LOL

0 Ratings