cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NigelIllingworth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Upload speed too low for VOIP?

I have BT broadband. Download speed is about 15mbps; upload is only about 0.8mbps.

I'm trying to use VOIP. I can hear others very clearly. My voice to others on Skype is not great, but usable. On Cisco IP Communicator my voice quality is really poor, and unusable. I can hear others very clearly.

I am using a high-quality external microphone, that gives excellent results on Sound Recorder (in Windows).

I suspect my upload speed it too low for VOIP. Is there a way to increase my upload speed (even if that means reducing my download speed a little)?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upload speed too low for VOIP?

You cannot alter the upload speed, it depends on how good your connection is.

What are your ADSL Statistics

NigelIllingworth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:4 days, 05:37:48
Downstream:18.18 Mbps
Upstream:1.023 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:Unknown or no mode configured
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.7 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):21.2 dB / 12.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.1 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):16264 / 40
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):71488 / 15
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):10911 / 8
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I am afraid there is not really any room for improvement. The upstram margin is 6.3dB, which is about optimum.

How are you connecting the computer that is running Skype, to the home hub, wireless or Ethernet cable?

NigelIllingworth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks again, Good to hear the views of somebody who understands these things.

Gigabit Ethernet (wired) to Cisco Gigabit Router to BT Hub.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

That eliminates any other speed loss. I think you are going to be stuck with it, unless you can upgrade to Infinity.

The only product that does allow a faster upload, is Business Broadband, which can use G992.5 Annex M (up to 3Mbs) , provided the exchange supports it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

I use skype for video calls and also smartphone via sipdroid with similar upstream and have no problem with either

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Before changing to Infinity like imjolly i used Skype for video calls again with no problems and i know many others who do the same
0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

I don't know the cisco kit very well but I've never struggled on Skype, vent or other VOIP services even when gaming on my old half-meg upstream. Are there any options to swap the sound codecs or bitrate on the cisco device? Are you running anything else that's heavy on upstream?

BTTalk VOIP (now defunct) worked fine on lower speed lines so you should be able to get it working
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 10

My neighbour uses Skype extensively to keep in touch with friends and relatives all over the world.  The only time he has problems is when his speed drops down to around 0.5Mbps.  He is on ADSL Max (his ISP has still not moved him to the 21CN kit) so his downlaod varies from 0.15 to 1.9Mbps and his upload would be around 0.35 average.

I am no expert but I would think those that are might suggest you have a problem not necessarily purely related to speed  ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings