cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 28

Upnp, dnla and file sharing broken by home hub 5...

Hi,

I had a nice stable home network setup. Decided to upgrade to Infinity. Bad move!

It appears that the home hub 5 is interfering with the proper operation of the network (Windows 7). Don't quite know how it is doing it and I have a number of networking professionals scratching their heads over it, but it is!

I'll give one example: I have a media server PC on which I centrally store video, photos and music. It runs Twonky, a uPNP Media Server application. My lounge TV does not have DNLA so it is connected via HDMI to a RaspberryPi running RaspBMC, a packaged version of XBMC. Before installation of Infinity, I had normal ADSL with a Billion router. Everything worked fine and I could access video, music and photos via the Pi on my TV.

After installation of the homehub 5, the existing Twonky links on the Pi stopped working and Twonky was not available when trying to set up a new upnp media source in XBMC.

Now here's the thing, if I put a switch between my equipment and the home hub (so that all of the equipment can see each other without using the switch on the router) I experience the same symptoms. But if I DISCONNECT THE HOMEHUB from the switch, everything works as before (albeit the internet is now unavailable) i.e. upnp media sharing works again.

I am not the only one experiencing these and other issues, as a browse of various forums will show.

I made an attempt to log this as a fault (which it most definitely is) but I cannot get past the indian call centre to speak to someone that actually knows what they are talking about, This is almost certainly the policy. They insist 'we are not trained in this' and try to make me subscribe to to 'BT Tech Experts', whoever they are. This is a pay service. Now as far as I am concerned the home hub 5 is a very flawed device and is not actually fit for purpose - it actively interferes in the operation of the local network and there appears to be no way to stop it.

I would be very interested to hear from others with similar problems. Perhaops if enough noise is made BT will do something about it, firmware wise. However, I will not hold my breath and will be replacing he router as soon as I can. A Draytek 2850 will do the job.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Upnp, dnla and file sharing broken by home hub 5...

As you have identified yourself, the Homehub 5 has its problems and if I were you I would do as you have said and go for a decent modem/router and bin the HH5.

I realise that your networking problem is caused by the Homehub 5 but I suppose it could be argued that BT are contracted to supply Broadband/Infinity up to the Homehub and there after your home network and devices are your problem and this will no doubt be why the call centre suggested using the "BT Tech Experts" which is a paid service.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 28

Are you seriously suggesting that it is not BTs fault that my home network has been broken?

The device has altered operation of the network - how can that possibly NOT be BTs responsibility to fix?

Your comments are not helpful, sir.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

I am not suggesting anything. If you read my post I agreed that the Homehub 5 is the problem. What I said was that BT would probably argue that BT can not be responsible for your network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 28

Lots of us do have the same problems, and as gg points out, they are caused by BT seeming to think their responsibility stops at the homehub's internet input, and not providing many of the most basic home networking functions within the homehub.

The list of things that don't work reliably via the homehub is a lot longer too, covering also such basics as wireless printing, network storage, reliable wifi, proper port forwarding, etc etc.

I don't think that gg is suggesting it's not BT's fault, we all know it is, just that they have shown zero interest in actually doing anything about it and making the homehub a decent device. They behave like the worst kind of monopoly regarding customer problems. The reality is that the solution is the one you and he have stated and that is to get a decent router to replace it.

Alternatively, you could put your efforts into trying to persuade BT it's their responsibility and get them to fix it - good luck with that, no-one else has succeeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Again, like monopolies everywhere, they do not actually listen to their customers or care what they think.)

Beginner
Message 6 of 28

The point I am making is that the home hub ACTIVELY INTERFERES with the home network and for GG to suggest (yes suggest) that this is NOT BTs problem is totally unacceptable...and suspicious. There are a lot of funny posts in these forums where the BT party line is being promoted. 

I am definitely changing my router soon but I think I'll get wireshark and other tools onto it before I bin it to work out exactly what the homehub is doing. A bit of a challenge. I am already seeing some funny UPNP messages which I will post if relevant. Time to get technical.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

@phone wrote:

The point I am making is that the home hub ACTIVELY INTERFERES with the home network and for GG to suggest (yes suggest) that this is NOT BTs problem is totally unacceptable...and suspicious. There are a lot of funny posts in these forums where the BT party line is being promoted. 

Can you point out to me where I have suggested (yes suggested) that this is NOT BTs problem and how is it suspicious, suspicious of what? If you have read posts in this forum you will see that I do not "promote the BT party line" If there is a problem with BT I will say so and indeed said so in this thread..

"As you have identified yourself, the Homehub 5 has its problems and if I were you I would do as you have said and go for a decent modem/router and bin the HH5.

I realise that your networking problem is caused by the Homehub 5....etc."

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 28

..and I quote:

"it could be argued that BT are contracted to supply Broadband/Infinity up to the Homehub and there after your home network and devices are your problem"

I do not think that it is unreasonable to interpret this as suggesting that BT are not responsible for their device fiddling with the internal network. "It could be argued" - no it could not.  Utter b*llocks.  Good grief man do you read before you post?.   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

If you are going to quote me at least read and quote it all:

I realise that your networking problem is caused by the Homehub 5 but I suppose it could be argued that BT are contracted to supply Broadband/Infinity up to the Homehub and there after your home network and devices are your problem and this will no doubt be why the call centre suggested using the "BT Tech Experts" which is a paid service.

I did not say I would argue that, the only b*llocks as far as I can see is that you have a weird way of interpreting things.

Good grief man do you not read what is written?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

Ok. Keep it friendly folks.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings