cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Upon every HUB Reset the speeds take a nosedive

I had BT Inifnity 2 installed 2 months ago, prediction at the time between 57-74MB, when the engineer came around to install his readings were 67-68MB. Fast forward 2 months and I'm down to 56MB down and 15MB upload with a way higher latency than I had with Virgin Media. The telephone checker said 61-78MB with a Minimum of 51MB. I'm very close to that figure now :/. Really am disappointed, after all the reading I did before ditching Virgin Media I genuinely believed I made the right call. The only positive left at the moment with BT is the no peak time congestion issue, whereas before I would drop to 20-30MB during peak times with Virgin on the highest package.

Download and upload speeds are dropping fast, HUB kept resetting every 2-3 days before I changed the lease time to 21 days (now resets every 14 days with more speed drops) line and signal attentuation have rose from 27.0 to 27.6 and 18.3 to 18.5, less than impressed. Maximum data rate in the past few weeks has dropped from 73-75 to 69MB, the telephone checker as also dropped (is this so I cant complain?) I have all the screenshots to prove the speeds. The speeds have been consistent until the HUB restarts, then it drops the speed even further as always.

Its getting a tad ridiculous, I'm dreading every reset as it loves to drop the speed even further. I have a MK3 faceplate, the dsl is connected directly to the socket without extensions, filters etc and I have only plugged the telephone into the second socket to test the quiet line test, absolutely no noise on a corded telephone.

Line Profile.png

01/06/2016

BT Heldpesk page 2 months ago.png

2/3 weeks ago

BT test.png

Now

BT Helpdesk page.png

This was the telephone checker when my line went active and found the data.

The postcode checker at the time said 57-74MB at the time.

BT.png

Today's speed test. Made to look even worse on Newsgroups and the upload is almost in the 12MB Virgin Media range. Part of the attraction to BT was for the supposed low latencies, stable speeds, higher upload, no traffic management and lower chance of congestion issues. Most of this has proved untrue.

19:31:10, 31 May. Down Rate=74304000Kbps, Up Rate=19864000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.1dB

00:18:30, 03 Jun.
Down Rate=69870000Kbps, Up Rate=19868000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.1dB (this one was me done accidentally)

06:31:42, 04 Jun.
Down Rate=64653000Kbps, Up Rate=19538000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.1dB

09:19:55, 07 Jun.
Down Rate=63571000Kbps, Up Rate=19390000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.1dB

15:15:33, 08 Jun.
Down Rate=65455000Kbps, Up Rate=19320000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.4dB, Up=6.1dB

Right, so this is where I found out about the lease time trick and switched it from 1 to 21 days.

09:16:04, 14 Jun.
Down Rate=64162000Kbps, Up Rate=19239000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.4dB, Up=6.1dB

09:39:24, 28 Jun.
Down Rate=64062000Kbps, Up Rate=19168000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.1dB

15:45:35, 13 Jul.
Down Rate=62983000Kbps, Up Rate=18710000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.1dB

16:13:54, 27 Jul.
Down Rate=60578000Kbps, Up Rate=15945000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.4dB, Up=6.1dB

This FTTC exchange was setup in 2011 so it isnt new, and the area is Virgin Media enabled, so two different kinds of services. I have a feeling there is something wrong with my line... Yet, apart from the speeds dropping, the connection seems stable. Anything else I need to include?

I have not been on the phone to BT India yet, can't see them being of any use. Thought I would vent my frustration here and hope someone can chirp in.

Could switching to a BT Hub 6 or buying my own Router/Modem help? The BT HUB 5 loves to reset my connection and in the event log there are a flood of messages about WIFI disconnections and DHCP disconnections daily.

Sorry for all the text. Was trying to throw as much information in as possible so I'm not having to fill in the blanks later. The Noise Margins were mostly fine 6+ until early/late last week. They then dropped a ton to 4dB up and 5dB download and never recovered, they rose a little and then dropped again with the websites failing to load farce.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upon every HUB Reset the speeds take a nosedive

the drops in connection every 14 days has been raised before but as a sufferer I never have a problem with the connection speed or noise margin dropping.  when it does reset it reconencts immediately at the same speed and noise margin as it was.  

you should be able to avoid the resets by buying a 3rd party modem router.  the HH6 will not help as others have posted the 14 day resets continue

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

So what am I to do about the speeds? Is it normal for these drops to occur when things look stable? I have lost 14MB and 4.5MB upload so far from the WAN recorded events. I have tried playing the waiting game with the DLM and the speeds continue to drop with the HUB resets. The HUB is as close to the master socket as I could possibly get it. I guess the problem I have here is not severe enough to request a engineer or have someone look into it here?

I'm almost at the BT Infinity 1 level speeds here which is disappointing. These broadband services really need to put more effort in to get greater reliable speeds, you have one service Virgin Media with crippling congestion issues, then you have BT relying on copper and aluminium wiring with a heavy reliance on the FTTC cabinet distance to achieve speeds of 10-70MB. I still believe the extra metres to the telepole the rookie hooked me upto plays a part in the fault here, like an extra 40M past my house, further distance from the FTTC cabinet, when there is one behind my house which is much closer and a shorter level of wiring from the pole to my house. If only FTTP was setup here...

Also, I don't quite understand why my line and signal are slowly on the rise, the HUB is still in the same place, only difference is more ethernets and wireless devices have been connected as and when Virgin Media was cut off later into that first month. Latencies are also a issue. I was getting 7ms to ping sites. Mine at the moment on BT is 20ms was 10ms to begin with. I also see some with 6/7ms through speedtest sites. Mine is 24 and 19 through London. Not that big a difference but it does seem to count against me on them EU/US Servers I enjoy playing on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Will I be getting a response at some point? Everything I should have included is in the posts. I would also like any questions answering if possible from the above.

As you mentioned Modem/Router setups if I was to buy my own expensive equipment whose to say the speeds or the latency will improve with a longer uptime and less resets? I thought you had to have multiple resets, disconnections in a short space of time for DLM to kick in? This is something else that continues to confuse me as all the stats appear normal with no noise on the corded phone yet the HUB keeps resetting on a fortnightly basis taking even more speed with it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

this is a customer help customer forum and any answers/posts are as and when a forum member/customer wants to post  there is no point in posting on your thread unless they can post something that will help - until then it is just patience

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Not sure what happened but the HUB did its daily 14 day reset yesterday and came back on with even worse results than the previous 14 days, this indespite of the noise margins being 6.4 upload and 6.2 download before the reset. Checked the stats again today and the HUB restarted again with these results. Back to 70 + under data rate for the download, the upload still hasnt recovered from the 17-19MB I had before but my latency has decreased from 18-20ms to 11ms and the download has recovered from some of its early loss, long may this continue I hope, fingers crossed.

BT HUB 14th August.png

Is this definitely a DLM thing. Its been dropping on every automatic reset since the install and now out of the blue seems to have recovered some of the lost speeds and latency increases, really not sure how long this will last but this is definitely a positive without seeking an engineer. Or maybe there was a slight fault at the cabinet who knows, no faults reported at the cabinet using Plusnets outages and the line thus far still hasnt had any noise.

Edit

Seems BT Infinity Service Status has my area and start of telephone number in the estimated fix date 15th August. Not had any actual problems so far other than the lower download/upload speeds on every automatic HUB reset. No issues with outages, loss of broadband for weeks etc.

0 Ratings