Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex2014
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Urgent - VERY slow BT Broadband

Hello there,

I need your help

Over the past few weeks I've been getting very slow download speeds with BT Broadband Unlimited and was just wondering if someone could help! It is a big problem for me now as I am preparing for exams and need to watch some course tutorial videos posted by the uni. The speed is so slow that it gets impossible to watch any of those videos (or even Youtube videos for the matter) without constant buffering. Downloading large files has become a nightmare. (I currently get an horrendous 200kbps download rate when downloading large files. I used to get 2mbs when downloading those same files as of a few weeks ago).

The slow speed problem started a few weeks ago, but I never had time to investigate until now. My broadband was fast previously. A test done on speedtest.net a few months ago was showing a download speed of over 10-15Mbps (don't remember the exact figure). The test I just did indicates a download speed of only 1.68mbps with a terrible upload speed of 0.32mbps!

The guys at the BT call centre were unable to help! I didn't know what to do until I found this forum.

I ran a few tests by connecting my laptop directly to the hub (Home Hub 4) with an ethernet cable. 

Here are the results I got:

BT Speed tester:
speed coming into house from Exchange: 1.94MB
Download speed 1.73
upload speed 0.33
Indicator says: "poor".

Test from speedtest.net:
ping 12ms
download speed 1.68mbps
upload speed 0.32mbps

ADSL Line settings:
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 7 days, 21:51:35
Downstream: 1.898 Mbps
Upstream: 379.9 Kbps

Home Hub 4 does not give access to the full settings. However, I was able to get the following additional data from the event log in "Advanced settings":

20:23:47, 20 Mar. ( 103.870000) ETHoA is up VPI: 0, VCI:35
20:23:45, 20 Mar. ( 102.410000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 5.60 dB downstream
20:23:44, 20 Mar. ( 100.540000) DSL line rate: 379 Kbps upstream, 1944 Kbps downstream

There is no internal wire problem. I tested the connection from the test socket and got the same thing. So it is likely that the problem is coming from the Exchange itself (I live in London Bayswater).

Can anyone help?

Thank you very much

Alex

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Urgent - VERY slow BT Broadband

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, please could you look at Helping forum members to help you which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.
When you have done that, please post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

as you have posted stats showing a stable connection can you reconnect to the test socket with a new filter and post the same 2 lines from the logs just up to date

can you enter your phone number here and post results  REMEMBER to delete phone number first  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alex2014
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Hello Keith,

Thanks for your message.

I completed all but one of the tests described on the "Helping forum members to help you" page and posted the results above. I have the master socket with the test socket. 

I just completed the quiet line test and can't hear any cracking.

The Home Hub 4 does not seem to indicate error counter messages.

Is there any other test I can make?

Thank you very much

Alex

0 Ratings
alex2014
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Hello imjolly,

Thanks for your message.

Even if I reconnect to the test socket, it seems I would not be able to provide you with the same 2 lines from the logs I posted above because the upstream/downstream data seems to be taken only once every 10 days by the Home Hub 4 (at least what is shown by the event log). I did all tests indicated in my post above yesterday and as you can see in that log, the last upstream/downstream data dates from March 20th.

Here are the results from the BT wholesale page:

Telephone Number 0207... on Exchange BAYSWATER is served by Cabinet 50

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)8079.52019.9--30-Apr-14
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8070.22017.9--30-Apr-14

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 12.5--8.5 to 16.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 12.5Up to 18.5 to 16.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 6.5--5.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--30-Apr-14
Fibre Multicast------30-Apr-14
Copper Multicast------Available

Does that help?

Thank you very much

Alex

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

are you connected to the tests socket the hub 4 only shows limited information unlike earlier models
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

new hub stats will be displayed at every hub reset
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

If you were getting a fast speed before, and its slow now, there must be an issue with the line or exchange equipment, as your noise margin is very low, which indicates that there is very little bandwidth available.

If those results were taken at the test socket, then perhaps the line is unbalanced, and introducing interference.

You could try a BT Line test, as see what the results are.

Use this link.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21

If it does not show any major fault, then it will need a full diagnostic check by BT. This is best done by one of the moderators, as they can look for pair inbalance.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

if you connect to test socket now then you will find the 2 lines in the logs just when hub conencts to the internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alex2014
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Hello,

Thanks for your message

I was away this weekend, so could not reply sooner.

The lines I posted in my original post (from the Hub 4 event log) indicate a March 20 date. (as shown on them)

This was when I first tested the connection with the test socket 2 weeks ago. It means those measurements were taken while the cable was connected to the test socket. Sorry for the confusion.

As indicated in my original post above, The BT Speedtester shows that the speed coming into my flat now from the Exchange is only 1.94Mb. I remember that I did a test a few months ago on speedtest.net (after having signed up with BT) and it was showing a speed of 10-15Mb. It means that the actual speed coming into my flat now has been substantially decreased from the Exchange. 1.94Mb seems fast, but that translates to 200kb/s when I download a file from the Internet. I can't even watch videos on Youtube. So unless I am mistaken, the problem is likely coming from the Exchange.

I really need your help because I don't know what to do. Should I contact a moderator?

Thanks 

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Ratings