Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Urgent issue: No dial tone

Go to solution
I am not getting a dial tone on my phone since this morning. Maybe sporadically. I can't get through on 150 to call for help so need a mod to check on this please as soon as possible.

Thanks
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Urgent issue: No dial tone

Go to solution

Mods don't deal with straightforward problems that can be dealt with by simply reporting the fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
How do I report the fault without getting through? Does BT offer a free number to call from non-BT mobiles?These calls can sometimes last in excess half an hour.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

0800 800 151

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
you can also report line faults on line
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
have you tried a know working corded phone in the test point of your main telephone socket?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@qwerty1, plug a phone into the test socket behind the cover of your master socket, dial 17070 option 2 'quiet line test'. A fault there should show up (crackling, etc.) report the fault on a neighbour's/relative's phone, hope you get this sorted out soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
There's no fault according to the online report. I have tested with a corded phone just in case there was fault with our main phone (cordless). When we call our home number on a mobile the call does go through but we don't get the phone to ring (we have checked volume and we've tested three different phones). When we pick the phone up to make an outgoing call, there's no dial tone, just utter silence. It's sounds dead.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I just called the above 0800 number and got told by automated support there is a fault, which contradicts the online reporting. This seems really dodgy. Apparently there may be a £130 engineer charge. The line went dead the same day I managed to finally get BT to send out the reward card, after much consternation because of the way it was being handled by staff out in India. Highly suspicious that the line breaks down as soon as the reward is finally awarded. I didn't mean to criticise the Indian staff but it's not the first time I had much problem. I also had to deal with Indian staff with my mobile network (not BT) and they put me through a lot, wasting a lot of time in the process. The number of calls I had to make and receive going back and forth was ridiculous. They are good at making themselves immune to customer anger (good if you're dealing with angry customers), something Brits might be more sensetive to, but I have been put through a lot since the summer. It's ruined these last three months.

There is no way I am paying for an engineer. If done free then I'll gladly stay with BT because we bsolutely didn't do anything to cause the problem, but if not then I'll move. I want to be able to get on with daily life then having to spend so much time dealing with problems with my account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Many here will understand the pain of dealing with the overseas helpdesk as we've been there. But it's rather fanciful to imply that they could create a fault, especially if it turns out to be chargeable because it was on your side of the master socket. The caveat about a possible charge is routine, simply for the avoidance of doubt if a charge is eventually raised.

The rules about chargeability apply to all providers except Virgin cable. Assuming it was correct, it would only be a good idea to refuse to pay a charge if you want to have your credit record trashed.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.