cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Usage Meter: reliable method of monitoring total significant internet usage

I'm sure we can all agree that this is a chronic problem that has been raised many times here. The BT stance appears to be:

* To monitor your usage, you can use a search engine to find and download an online-usage meter; search for 'internet usage meter'. You may wish to try several until you find one that meets your needs. (attr. Mod Kerry, but I can't find the post)

Now, I am considering recontracting and, as part of the new deal, think that Option 2 or even 1 would be appropriate. However, it would be essential to have a method of monitoring accurately my internet usage - specifically in a manner that mirrors the records BT keeps, as I would wish to manage my usage appropriately given that the ceilings are much lower than that on the current "unlimited" Option 3.

I have used Netmeter for several years, and that is great, but is not appropriate for accurate monitoring, because on this account, in any given billing period there are likely to be three desktops, at least 3 laptops, BT Vision, a Wii, an X box and goodness knows what other Playwotsits that might affect usage.

The HH 1.5 I use records figures, but that often resets itself and the data is suddenly lost.

Can BT recommend a specific appropriate application please? I can't find one that meets my needs.

If not, is there a BT number to call to discover one's current total?

Why does BT not provide a link on the MyAccount page to the current usage data - the same usage data that they use to trigger FUP sanctions - as I believe other/another ISP do/does?

I have in mind para. 39 of the Ofcom Code of Practice that reads:

39. Where it is reasonably possible to do so, ISPs should provide a means by which users can measure their total usage over the relevant billing period or indicate to customers how they can do so.

I'm sorry but it's not enough to merely say get on Google and search for "interent usage meter" BT must be more transparent and helpful, cease the fudging, and provide a solution to this contentious issue; too many customers feel betrayed that BT is failing to deliver on a crucially significant feature of their BB service.

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

10 REPLIES 10
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Usage Meter: reliable method of monitoring total significant internet usage

Ah. Kerry quoted from the BT FUP policy page bottom of Para. A, subsection 1.

Thansk to a_rad for providing that location.

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

While you can download your own usage monitor, BT won't take any notice of it if the readings disagree with theirs.

BT have never given any explanation of why they can't provide an on-line monitor, and OFCOM's voluntary code of practice is so feeble that BT can effectively ignore it.
Highlighted
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:
While you can download your own usage monitor, BT won't take any notice of it if the readings disagree with theirs.

BT what is your view on this please? You recommend searching for and trying different monitors (Para. A section 1), so do you accept the efficacy and credibility of them all?

May I have some clarification please? I don't wish to waste my time setting up software if it turns out that you will ignore any data so gathered that might conflict with your own, data that you seem at great pains to conceal from the very customers to whom it pertains.

What's the big secret? Where is the transparency?

-- -.-- / ... .. --.

0 Ratings
tomcage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I agree with you, and think there should be a way to monitor our *actual* usage from BTs POV.

I don't see how any software solution could accurately monitor usage. In our house we have several Windows PCs (which could be monitored) but other connected devices include games consoles, iPhones (3 in the house) iPod touch, and a streaming Internet Radio, none of which could be monitored by us.

Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Hello, anyone there to answer please?

-- -.-- / ... .. --.

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 7 of 11

Hi Pasha_Selim

I just wanted to give you an update on the feedback we have seen from you all about the FUP and requests for a broadband usage monitor, both on this thread and others.

In my last post on this topic I let you know that your feedback was being passed on and BT were actively reviewing this policy.  I’m pleased to be able to let you know that we’ve listened to your feedback and will shortly be introducing a broadband usage monitor on www.bt.com. This will allow you to check how much of your usage allowance you have left at any point in the month. We’ll be keeping our existing reminder emails, giving you total control of your broadband service. We’ll also be making some changes to our FUP which will be announced soon.

I don’t have any further details on either of these at the moment, but I wanted you to know that we do hear your feedback and things will be changing.  I’ll post more details as soon as I get the info.

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Hi Kerry,

This is brilliant news,that is so long as BT don't change the FUP in a way that it penalises customers more than it does now.

Do you know how soon this is going to happen ?

Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Kerry, thank you Smiley Happy for such good news Smiley Happy

And thank you for not banning/warning me and others for repetitive posting on this subject Smiley Happy Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy After all if I fail to get a satisfactory reply when I write a letter to, say Ian Livingston, Smiley Wink I will write again as many times as it takes.

Caveat: the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So let's hope that BT's solution is sensible and does not fudge on any of the issues, such as a realtime reading (not a day or five late) and a cumulative reading from zero (not a countdown from the upper limit for the relevant Option - to paraphrase what Andy has already said in another thread: what is infinity/unlimited minus 20?)

-- -.-- / ... .. --.

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 10 of 11

Hi Pash/All

I have posted some updated info in this thread about the usage monitor.

Please take a look.

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.