cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
feegee
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Usage monitor query

Hi, firstly, sorry if i have posted this in the wrong place.

Can anyone tell me if there is a software  or programme (hopefully free) that will monitor my actual usage properly as opposed to the BT monitor as yet again i have a problem with my apparent  broadband usage.

For almost 2 months now i have deliberatley only used The Fon network (give or take 1-2 hours this month) and yet my usage just keeps rising, it's not as drastic as has happened in the past but i have noticed it using about 250 mb a day even though i am not connecting to my own bb connection at all and i'm just getting a bit fed up with warning emails when i know i am not using it.   I know there has been lots of posts about Fon usage being wrongly added to actual usage but how on earth do you figure it out or even try to argue your point. I am not very computer literate so i know i would probably need some help too in understanding figures etc if there is such a thing that could monitor it better.

Luckily i am still within my 12GB allowance and won't be charged this time but it is getting on my wick that this problem keeps cropping up.

The only devices i own are a mobile phone which doesn't connect to anything, a tablet which is set up to only connect to FON and my laptop which is W7 so doesn't do all those hefty updates that W10 does, i have no gaming devices, smart tv or anything that would be using up my allowance, i only download (very little) on Fon so i would be grateful if anyone can recommend something or can help.

Anway,thanks for reading and apologies that it is quite long winded : Fee

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Checked2013
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Usage monitor query

Hi,

Firstly if you are only using the internet for 1 to 2 hours per month, might it be better to have a mobile data plan with your mobile phone? As this can often work out cheaper if you already have a contract phone and if you only use the internet for a short while per month.

I would point out though that W10 updates are smaller that W7's and that on W10 you can disable or delay updates while you are using a metered connection

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for replying @Checked2013.  But i am on pay as go for mobile (another device i don't use very much) so that's not an option plus the package i have with BT is actually quite good.

I actually use the internet for more than 1-2 hours a month but i probably didn't explain myself very well earlier.

My average usage is abut 4 - 5GB a month but as i said earlier i have deliberatley only used the Fon network this month (other than the usage of 1-2 hours through my own home hub connection )  basically, i believe my Fon usage is being added to my own hub usage and it would tally up with my usage for this month (8.5 GB). As i said it is using around 250 MB a day even though i have deliberately not connected to my home network so i was hoping there was something "out there" that i could configure to record my home hub usage. I have been checking the BT usage monitor daily as i noticed this happening towards the end of last month that's why i have only connected to Fon this month to see for sure.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

From memory fon usage is shown on the hub but deducted from the BT usage monitor and from any usage allowances
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Any third party usage monitor will by necessity be installed on the device you are using to connect to the internet and will be unable to distinguish whether you are connecting via Fon or otherwise.

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thank you @john46, i know it gets recorded and then apparently deducted but i am sure this has not happened this time around. I have been checking the usage monitor almost daily and taking screenshots to keep a record of what is being used.

@licquorice  thank you to you too, that has answered my question really. I thought there was a way i could somehow record only my own hub bb usage.

I know i haven't been charged this time but if you were to get into a dispute over usage then how can you prove it ? I have read other posts where people have downloaded something specifically via Fon then checked their hub stats or usage monitor ( i think)  against what they downloaded and it seems to add it to their personal usage. Is there a way to do this ?

I thought i might have been able to do that, so earlier today i did a specific download with Fon and recorded the time and size of the download to see if it's been added to my usage as i haven't been connected to my bb at all and i apparently used a whole 1GB in 24 hours. I know i'm not the cleverest of people but is there a way i can do that ?

Fee.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

There is nothing you can use as 'proof' of whether you downloaded via Fon or via your own wifi other than running a sniffer such as Wireshark which will indicate what IP address was connecting at the time (Fon will be 10.xx.xx.xx whereas your hub will be 192.168.1.xx) but the logs will be huge and hard to interpret.

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Ah, a bit beyond my capabilities then @licquorice but thanks anyway for your input, i do appreciate it.

Fee.

0 Ratings