Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wizpip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Use PC as a telephone

Go to solution

Hello all, bit of a question rather than a problem today...

I spend a lot of time at my desk. I have a studio mic and some decent speakers. Is there such a product that would allow me to plug my landline into my PC (say, via a USB dongle) and then use my desktop mic and speakers? I can't seem to find such a product on Google; am I the only one in the world that wants this?

I'd also like the same thing for my Android phone (to make and receive calls on it via my PC), but apparently that doesn't exist either.

Is there such a thing? Have I finally lost it?

Ta.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Use PC as a telephone

Go to solution

I am not aware of such a product. Normally you would use a VOIP service for that facility.

Electrical isolation between the phone line and the computer has to meet very stringent specifications, so there has to be a large market for such a product, to make it worth while for a manufacturer.

I would guess there is virtually no demand for such a product, as hands free headsets are readily available.

wizpip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I suspected as much! Thanks for the confirmation, I'll just have to stick to speaker phone for now.

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
There used to be an option to use a dial up modem. I used to use a 3com 56k one as a phone/fax; you could get the calls to the PC using some software. Mind you that was many years ago!
0 Ratings