Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kaleb
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Use of Fax Machines on Broad Band Talk

Does anyone know if the broadband talk phone line is stable enough to allow it to be used as a fax line? I know fax is old tech but we still need one for some of our customers and suppliers (all to do with signatures!) and I am not about to rent a dedicated line! I know that in the past, phase jitter meant that fax machines were not too good on voip lines.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Use of Fax Machines on Broad Band Talk

I don't think anything's changed.  It might work, but it almost certainly won't work reliably.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

I think you will find that it will not work on the normal broadband talk line as it has insufficient bandwidth, and cannot support signalling tones..

The BT Voyager 2500v router had a facility to increase the available bandwidth with a "high quality" setting. This would allow some fax machines to work.
0 Ratings
kaleb
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for this. In fact it does sort of work. I seem to be able to recieve faxes but not send them. This is ok though as I can leave the fax on the hub to auto answer any fax calls. I can then program the fax to dial with the prefix 5 to ensure it uses the normal line for outgoing faxes. The header will give the BB Talk number for replies. Still looking at how stable a soloution this is.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Are you sure that the incoming calls are coming in on your broadband talk number, and not your PSTN number?

Remember that the phone socket on the hub will receive both lines, if you have set it up that way. The PSTN is simply routed straight through to the socket on an incoming calll. This does not use VOIP.

0 Ratings