Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Use of an Extension Socket for Infinity

Go to solution

I have been told I can get Infinity 2 where I am and I would like to upgrade from standard Broadband, but hope this question can be answered before I decide whether to place an order.

BT advise that Infinity should be supplied directly from the master socket, but I know other people have asked on here about the use of an extension. I apologise for returning to the subject, but the discussions I have found mostly seem to be over a year old. Also everyone’s set up is lightly different and I still cannot really determine from the answers how successful the use of an extension socket has been.

My master socket is located in a bedroom and I have a cable running down inside the wall into an extension ADSL V1.0 socket in the study downstairs to which I have a Home Hub 3 connected. I use this line solely for broadband and there are no other extensions running off it. Is it possible to say what the chances are of being able to use this socket for Infinity? Failing this, would an engineer be able to convert this socket into a master so that I could receive Infinity directly into the study without having any additional wiring? If it could be done, is it likely that there would be any significant loss of speed by having it configured in this way?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Use of an Extension Socket for Infinity

Go to solution

That socket should work just fine without any changes.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Infinity is now self install so you would not get an engineer visit unless BT determined for what ever reason that you needed one.

As licquorice has already said, your set up should work OK.

If you are concerned, once you are connected up you could connect to each phone socket in turn and run a speed test from each to see if there is any significant loss in speed. 

0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks to you both for your replies. That's good to know.

0 Ratings