cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dickt2
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Useless "Help" desk

My BT provided SIM died for no apparent reason. I asked BT for a new one. This call took about 40 minutes. New one arrived next day. Plugged it in and off we went.

Tried to set up a SIM lock. The BT default number for SIM locks is, say BT, 5555. BT's new sim would not accept that. So SIM ended up being blocked. So rang BT "Help" desk for PUK code. With someone like Vodafone, this takes 30 seconds.

The person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. Approx 50 minutes later, she was telling me that her manager had told her that it was not a blocked sim, it was a blocked phone, and I needed a PAC code from the manufacturer. How many daft things can a "help" desk operator, and her manager, get wrong in one sentence?

They clearly did not know what a PAC code is and had no idea what a PUK code is.

Worse than useless as they were misleading and had no idea how bad they were.

I asked to be put through to someone with a technical background and she refused, saying that she was "technical" help. Er, yes, and I am the King of Siam.

So members of the community, beware who you talk to at BT's "technical", er, "help" line. I ended the call to Ms Useless, and called the same number again. Another lady knew what I was on about after 2 minutes.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
NeilO
Message 2 of 5

Re: Useless "Help" desk

@dickt2 I'm really sorry you didn't get the help you needed when speaking to the helpdesk.  If you still need your PUK code follow the instructions on this link.

Thanks 

Neil

0 Ratings
dickt2
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

NeilO

You forget how bad BT can be. What does BT's website say about PUK?

"sorry, there's been a mistake. Come back later."

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 5

@dickt2 Sorry about that if you use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum to send in your details we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username @NeilO.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
mike-l
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hay Dickt2 (nice rhythm to your name). Just wanted to let you know that I posted a nice refutation to your expounding the view that the help desk was useless. edited by mod I guess this means I was in a minority of one thinking they were not useless. Big up to the mods for honesty. I thought it best I share with you some tips for making better use of the help desk and avoiding the frustrations you sadly experienced:

1. Do some research online using a well known search engine. Goodness gracious, how much time would I have saved if I had done this? Oh about the same amount of time it took for the on line chatterer to get round to telling me they hadn't a clue and I should research the answer for myself. 45 minutes or so.

2. Try and establish the qualifications of the person you are talking to. Now, I don't mean you should check their gcse grades etc, but do they have experience of what you are calling about? As I found out it is possible to conduct quite a long interchange in the optimstic belief that some awareness of mobile network operations would have been provided to those engaged on the help desk (not so apparently).

3. Just go along with doing whatever they say to do. Frankly they cannot cope with people thinking things for themselves. You will find this less painful in the end. For example had you gone and contacted the manufacturer for a PAC code this would have aided you by giving you a firm foundation for taking the discussion back to them, and it would have aided them by allowing you to educate them by, no doubt, some direct quotes from the manufacturer.

4. As you discovered too late, dropping the call and trying again is always an option. 

Please also note that it is against the forum rules to promote competitors so your reference to V******e being so much quicker than BT is in contravention of this. Hope no one noticesSmiley Wink

0 Ratings