cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Useless smart hub

Taken to the forum to vent some frustration at the appalling customer service from BT in relation to the constant dropping of connection we are experiencing with fibre broadband. The same issue has been going on for months, read quite a few posts Of people having the same problem. I have the smart hub 6 and it is constantly dropping connection, going from green, to flashing orange, red, green, blue for a few minutes then starts again eventually after a few hours it will become stable and work as normal. We have this every week but this weekend has been particularly bad we have been without connection all day today. Phoned BT on many occasions, line test done told no faults, no faults with hub but they can see it's not connected???? I have been told by one customer service rep to change the wireless channel but I can not access the hub admin, used 4 devices to try and all say smart hub not responding, laptops, desktop and iPad none will connect via 192.168.1.254, through either Ethernet or wifi. But BT can offer no explanation for this and I am told it is definitely not the hub???? I was told the only way to sort is to book an engineer but risk the £129 fee, so booked this only for the engineer not to turn up, when I had taken a days holiday, when I phoned BT I was told that yes they cancelled the visit as I would have been charged the fee as there is no problem with their network, but decided they wouldn't tell the customer that the appointment had been cancelled. I have phoned again and complained to be told that all tests have been done, no fault found, only recourse now is to book an engineer visit again. The obvious problem here is the hub as many other people have had issues but everyone at BT I have spoken to disagree, we were with Sky for 5 years before joining BT and never had a problem, been with BT for less than 4 months and constantly having issues. I'm now having to wait a week for an engineer to come, so another day to book off work. £60 for a hub that doesn't work and no one at BT shows any interest in resolving this, even factory reset does nothing with this hub!!!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Message 2 of 8

Re: Useless smart hub

I saw the same problem on my neighbour's SmartHub - I was unable to get to the admin page on 192.168.1.254 - we tried factory reset a few times but still unable to connect to the admin page - just timed out.  They were on their third replacement SmartHub so they just ordered an Asus DSL-AC68U - up and running in minutes and no more problems.  I know it costs money but I really recommend getting a third party router instead of the SmartHub just for your own sanity!

Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the info. I have 2 kids going crazy as they can't get on Xbox live!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

@Dave7 I'm sorry about the problems with your connection and missed engineer visit.

Is there any noise on the line when making phone calls, if there's any interference on the line it can cause the Hub to lose connection and it's best to rule out a network problem before getting new equipment.

Can you run a quiet line test by dialling 17070 from your BT Landline? If using a corded phone then the test should be quiet, if you are using a cordless phone then you may hear a low hum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Being unable to access the admin page at 192.168.1.254 is a clear symptom of a faulty SmartHub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

I've ran a quiet test and just hear a low hum, using a cordless phone. I spoke to a customer service rep and they ran some tests earlier today and said everything was fine. I can't understand why I can't access the hub manager and no one can suggest a solution, to me it appears obvious that the hub runs fine for a few days then connection is lost, out of interest I connected our old sky router and although I can't access the internet I could immediately get into the sky router admin from all four devices
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

@Dave7 Send us over your details and we'll be happy to help. You'll see the 'click here to contact the mods' link to if you click my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Neil I have sent my details through.

0 Ratings