Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Usenet access

I have been accessing news  using BT NNTP servers for many years

I use Thunderbird set up for my email account (email works fine)  and you set the NNTP settings so news reader works ...

The server settings are:

server:  news.btconnect.com

port 119

Security - none

Today I cannot get access to usenet (news) it throws up window asking for username and password

I have tried enterring my email name & pwd ... no joy.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Usenet access

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/NNTP-server-access/m-p/1285485#M89565

Just disconnect and reconnect your line to get a different IP address.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

OK .. I'll try   🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

It will work, check your IP address before and after disconnecting to make sure it has changed. Bt restrict access to their NNTP server to BT IP addresses, unfortunately as they add new addresses to the available pool, nobody updates the server.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

It worked ... thanks ..

I had just spent 85 min son phone to 2 sepearte people India who had no idea what Usenet was or how to access it.

Even telling me I can't have a btconnect.com account .... when been using this for >10 years.

Then advised to call BT Business .. another 30 mins to be told, this is not a supported product, I should take issue up with Giganews.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I think they have lost the key to the cubby hole where the NNTP server sits and nobody knows what's in there. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

The annoying thing was the 2 people of domestic BB helpdesk had never heard of it, no idea what it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

This problem has been ongoing for many years now, even then BT helpdesk knew nothing about Usenet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@licquorice wrote:

I think they have lost the key to the cubby hole where the NNTP server sits and nobody knows what's in there. Smiley Happy

You are probably right but someone somewhere in BT must be signing off the bill that (I imagine) Giganews sends BT for the service. I suspect they are in accounts and aren't on speaking terms with the technical people who have charge of the IP range.

As I think you know, people have been trying to get BT to update the IP list for (literally) years. I think that we will probably have to wait until IP6 or the end of the world, whichever comes sooner......

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Right hand meet left hand!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings