Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smurphy
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Usenet speed issues!

Go to solution

Hi guys,

I have accounts with easynews and newshosting and I use Neewsleecher. 

I have performed a clean install of win7 and I have all the updates and AV installed only.

-----

Problem

When I was on an 8mb line I could max out the connection at 800kbs with no problems ever.

I have upgraded to infinity and I was given an estimate of an 37.5mb line. When it was installed I achived this amount and more and when I used newsleecher I was getting over 4MB transfer speeds for over 4 months. 

Since friday all I can get is 36kbs from usenet. 

Bt say my line is still 37.5mb with no problems but speedtest.net gives me different readings from 1mb to 12mb never 37.5mb buy I have been getting this speed for a few months now with no issues.

Bt call staff want me to monitor it over the next 24-48 hours. Strange thing is I turned off the hub last night for 5mins and when I reconnected and I was downloading at 2mb with newsleecher and the tester says I was connected at 20mbs and bt speed tester says I am still on 37.5mb...

If you can help me then I am pleased to be helped also if you require any other information please let me know.

I have confused myself now. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Usenet speed issues!

Go to solution

Hello smurphy and welcome to the forums,

You aren't alone - there are people in this thread with the same problem:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Newsgroup-access-slow-for-anyone/td-p/199051/page/2

Might be a good idea to add your +1 to that thread instead of spawning a new one(?)

Hope this helps,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

there are post already with same problem - looks like it's newshosting

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Terrible-usenet-speeds-Is-it-throttling/m-p/20...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
smurphy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I have added this to the other thread.. Sorry for duplicate post.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

there are post already with same problem - looks like it's newshosting

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Terrible-usenet-speeds-Is-it-throttling/m-p/20...

Its not newshosting , it might be BT`s Infinity.

I am a newshosting subscriber , although on a 5.5Mb BT BB connection.

I am downloading on a regular basis from newshosting and nearly all the time I am maxing or nearly maxing out my connection.

Just done another test at 10:05 and am downloading at 560/583 KB/s.

No problems

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Andydigital
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Maxing out a line with only 5.5Mb/sec available is easy, one Infinity user at full speed uses 7 times as much bandwidth as your piddly line so that's not so easy. Saying that though my news provider never have problems saturating my line, although I do pay a lot more for my service than I would in I went with Newshosting. I have used them in the past and they are nowhere near as reliable as GN.
Cheers, Andy.
0 Ratings