cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

UserName option absent from settings on Samsung SmartTV set-up

Trying to set up a new Smart TV with our BTWifi account.  In the settings there is no option to input our username, only a place to input a password.  I've looked everywhere in the menus for different settings to try, and nothing, read the forums, googled, and nothing addresses this issue.

Second question is, will Smart TV stay logged on (once I log it on) with a laptop using the same account with BT?

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: UserName option absent from settings on Samsung SmartTV set-up

If you do manage to get logged onto BTWifi with your TV you will be automatically logged out after 2 hours and you will need to log back on.

If it is the free BTWifi that comes with a BT broadband package you can log on more than one device with the same user name and password. I don't know if you can do that with the paid version of BTWifi.

EDIT: I have a had a look at Samsung TV instructions and there is not an option to enter a username and a password so it looks like you will not be able to connect to BTWifi with it.

Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Thank you so much, that makes sense.  

Maybe I should ask the Samsung people too.  Because if BT shows as a Network in the list, *and* has streaming capabilities, which is fine when streaming from a laptop in the same room, it *could* work.  Unless there is a certain block feature for it.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

why are not just using your home network?

I don't think you will manage to set up your smart TV using BTWIFI as it needs username and password and my samsung only allows password of wifi network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

BTWifi is the house network.  Thanks for the tip on ratings.  Will do.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Are you a BT broadband customer with your own Homehub or are you just using a BTWifi hotspot?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

there is another thread on here which says Samsung SmartTV should be ok with BT WIFI but the thread is not regarding my particular issue.  I have the settings to find the BTWIFI network, just no area for user name.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Openzone-connection-to-Samsung-TV/m-p/418269/...

I am not looking to log onto the FON version.  It's the BTWIFIFX network I need.  Again, it asks for password but not user name.  I can log in with my laptop but not the Samsung TV

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

I am using a hotspot.  

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

I may just need to buy an adaptor for the laptop and use it as a bridge, and additionally maybe a wireless access point plugged into the ethernet too.  

From another thread here: 

".... create a network bridge between the PC and the TV.  You would need a wireless access point plugged into the Ethernet port of the PC. The TV would then connect to the WiFi signal radiated by the access point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@WLTN wrote:

there is another thread on here which says Samsung SmartTV should be ok with BT WIFI but the thread is not regarding my particular issue.  I have the settings to find the BTWIFI network, just no area for user name.

That is because smart TV's don't expect to log in to a network, they just expect to connect using the wireless signal passkey.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Openzone-connection-to-Samsung-TV/m-p/418269/...

I am not looking to log onto the FON version.  It's the BTWIFIFX network I need.  Again, it asks for password but not user name.  I can log in with my laptop but not the Samsung TV

The only devices that can connect to the BTWIFIX network are Apple devices, even if you could enter a password.