cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ravensburgh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Using 2 BT Routers on the same broadband telephone line

I wish to install an additional router in an office approx. 30m from the house. Fortunately a telephone cable already exisits between the two. Can I simply connect the existing cable into the telephone network in the house and then connect an additional Router in the external office. Will this then operate ok on my existing BT Broadband service? If not what in what way can I do it?  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Using 2 BT Routers on the same broadband telephone line

No you can not have two routers set up on the same line. If your wireless signal does not reach your office you could either run an Ethernet cable from your Homehub to the office or use a wireless repeater which would boost the wireless signal.

If the office is on the same electrical circuit as your house you could try powerline adaptors.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Ravensburgh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for your prompt replies. It looks as though I will have to run an ethernet cable from my existing BT 4 Home Hub to the external office. Are there any limitations as to the lenght of Ethernet cable that can be used or will the 30m length be ok? Presumeably I will still have to connect the phone line to allow a phone to work in the office or is there another way of achieving this using the Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

You can run Ethernet cable up to 100m with out problem. Run a phone cable at the same time or you could try a cordless phone if the signal will reach.

Ravensburgh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I have two phone lines coming into the house, one of which is running my BT Broadband. Utilizing the existing telephone cable to the external office plus further cabling in the house and in the external office can I install another router on the end of this and add BT broadband to this line. The line would be connected at the incoming BT Master Box in the house. It only has one phone running of it in the house and it would have one phone and the Router at the external office end. However, the length of the line would be 68m. Would this be too long and if so is there equipment that can be installed that overcomes this problem? 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

If you have two separate phone lines you can have two broadband lines, one on each phone line but obviously you would be paying for broadband twice which may not be the most cost effective way of getting broadband into your office.