cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drlmorice
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Using BT HH3 as adsl2+ modem with ASUS rt-ac68u as wireless router

I have bought an ASUS RT-AC68u router to replace my BT HH3. Unfortunately I only realised when I unboxed it that it did not support ADSL2+ connection, which is what I have in the house. Currently my connection is phone line > Filter > HH3. I would like to use the HH3 as an ADSL modem and have Phone line > Filter > HH3 > ASUS router.

My hardware is set up as follows:

• ADSL cable into ADSL port on HH3
  • Ethernet cable from HH3 gigabit port to ASUS WAN port

I have seen other posts suggesting switching off wireless and DHCP on the HH and setting up the new router with a static IP and DNS to the HH3’s address. I have tried this and unfortunately the asus router cannot receive an internet connection.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or could try?

The posts i got the above information from are:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Home-Hub-3-as-Modem-Only-Additional-Router-Asus-...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/BT-HomeHub-2-as-a-modem/td-p/220889

Please help.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using BT HH3 as adsl2+ modem with ASUS rt-ac68u as wireless router

You must not use the WAN port on the ASUS, as that is for connecting a cable modem, or Infinity modem.

The HH3 is a modem/router and cannot be used as a standalone modem.

Connect the home hub to one of the LAN ports on the ASUS instead.

Disable DHCP on ASUS and set the ASUS to a static IP address of something like 192.168.1.15.

0 Ratings
drlmorice
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

ok I will try that. Thanks for the very quick reply

0 Ratings
drlmorice
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Ok when I am setting up the ASUS it asks me what type of connection I am receiving from ISP. Should I click "static IP"

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@drlmorice wrote:

ok I will try that. Thanks for the very quick reply

To be honest, it would have been better to return it, and get a proper ADSL2+ router like the TP-Link TD-W8960N.

As you are only going to be using the ASUS as a wireless access point, any advanced network settings are not going to be effective, and its rather a waste.

0 Ratings
drlmorice
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

i thought the same thing when i realised, but i am expected to get BT infinity within the next few months so thought that I might as well keep it for when that comes along

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@drlmorice wrote:

Ok when I am setting up the ASUS it asks me what type of connection I am receiving from ISP. Should I click "static IP"

Forget all of that, its not applicable unless you are using it as a router, which you are not.

0 Ratings
drlmorice
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

but I will try this anyway for now, So should i chose my ISP as static IP on the asus router?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@drlmorice wrote:
but I will try this anyway for now, So should i chose my ISP as static IP on the asus router?

Skip any quick setup wizard, as its not applicable.

Use manual settings and simply disable DHCP, and change the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.15.

You will then need to access its interface at the new IP address.

I am not familiar with the ASUS, so you are going to have to read the full manual, and work out how to change the LAN settings.

Personally, I would just put it away until you get Infinity, and simply use the HH3, as you are not going to gain very much, unless you are using it as a wired wireless extender to another location in the house.

0 Ratings