cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Using BT Home Hub 5 as an access point?

I ordered the new Hub 5 for free (as it's always good to have a backup) by re-contracting. I don't actually plan to use it as I am happy with my Netgear router and the way it is all set up. But it struck me that I could use the Home Hub 5 as an access point and give stronger range upstairs towards the back of the house. Can it be done? I have a horrible feeling that I saw somewhere that it was no longer possible with the Home Hub 4 and Home Hub 5.

I know how to do it as DHCP needs to disabling, IP address outside of the primary router's DHCP range etc but just wondered if anyone does it with version 4 and 5 & whether it works?

Cheers

Wayne

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using BT Home Hub 5 as an access point?

deleted by poster

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Tested tonight and got benefit of others it works fine as an access point
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

0 Ratings
kennethsross
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi there

I  have had my  Infinity 2 install (yesterday) and I'm now looking at ways of improving the wireless cover in my home. It's not wifi friendly. All internal walls are either dense brick, or aluminium foil coated plasterboard. Great home for a member of the tinfoil hat brigade, but useless for wifi.

If I were to buy anothe HomeHub5 on ebay, and place it at the other end of the house, connected via ethernet, would this act as an access point?

What would need to be done, and would there be any implications - eg., would both units utilise the same password for wireless devices?

Appreciate any thoughts from those who know the answers, or may have already tried this.

TIA

Regards

KSR

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

You would be better off using the proper kit for the job, as the HH5 is not intended for that purpose.

See

http://www.shop.bt.com/learn-more/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-connectivity-devices-12466.htm...

0 Ratings
kennethsross
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the comment, Keith.

Sure , I would try this type of extender, except none of these products offer 802.11ac. I'm wanting to extend 802.11ac coverage, hence the HomeHub 5 plan.

Anyone know how best to set up the HomeHub 5 as an access point?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

0 Ratings