cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Using BT Wifi public login is quicker than HomeHub 4 connection at home

I live in a rural location, with very few houses near me (we are one half of a semi detached and there's only 1 other house within 300m)

Our BT Home Hub 4 connection gves us somewhere between 1-3mbps (which is slow but we accept that based on where we live).

But when I login into the 'public' BT Wifi connection using my BT Broadband account we always get speeds between 12-18mbps.

BT can't give me a reason why other than us being on a different cabinet to our neighbours, which given that we are a semi-detached house doesn't really stack up.

Any clues?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Using BT Wifi public login is quicker than HomeHub 4 connection at home

try entering your phone number and post results remember to delete number - then run same thing using neighbours number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

By public wifi do you mean the BTWIFI from a customer hub or do you mean a hotspot in centre of town/shopping centre?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

possible your neighbour is on infinity that could explain the speed difference
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I assume it's a customer hub because there are literally 3 houses within 2-300m (and only another 5 or so within a mile). Definitely no town centre. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

To connect to the BTWIFI from a hub you would need to be within 20m. Are you able to post dslchecker results

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

I have a similar issue.

My broadband connection is very slow at 0.4Mb down, 0.25Mb up.

The neighbours have fiber, so I now only use BT-WiFi with a connection speed of 1.5Mb from one house and 6.5Mb from another (when it will let me connect).

I have just ordered a fiber connection, it's supposed to be connected on the 11th, should give me around 20Mb.

The problem is because the broadband in our village of ~500 house is extreamly slow the fiber sells out withing 24 hours, then once per month Open Reach install another card giving more fiber availability for yet another 25 hours.

The availability is that bad I wrote a script that I run on a server which polls several availability checkers every 2 mins then sends out an email alert when there are fiber connections available on the street cabinet.

It's a running joke really that Open Reach cannot prediict that the fiber in areas that broadband is <0,5Mb is going to sellout within a day.

So it's BT-Wifi for me or nothing for the last couple of months sice I moved in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Here's the adsl checker results - it's the same result, and same Marlow Cabinet 2 for each of the 3 numbers I've entered (our house, the semi detached next door, and the other house within 100m).

A couple of weeks ago the checker said May 6th, then on April 27th it went to Available, and then a day or so later it went to May 27th.

I logon to Bt wifi every night now and always get between 14-16mbps, compared to 0.5-1.5 on my home hub 4.Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 21.49.48.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

The note you added at bottom sums it up. You cabinet is fibre enabled but it is waiting openreach adding additional capacity which is expected by the 27/5. You need to keep checking and if you want fibre then order as soon as you see available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Thanks... So essentially someone (over 100m away - no one closer has fibre or better speeds than me) is getting fibre and I'm picking up the BT Wiifi signal from their hub? 

0 Ratings