cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Using FON Hotspots Abroad (eg SFR-with-FON) - Clarification from BT Please

I am a member on a motorhome forum where a number of members (myself included) spend a lot of time in France, Portugal and some of the other countries where FON is prevalent. In France SFR customers, like BT customers in the UK, are automatically opted in to broadcast a SFR-with-FON hotspot - which BT customers should be able to access. 

The issue is a LOT of people are reporting success at using BT WiFi or BTWiFI-with-FON hotspots in the UK, but are subsequently unable to gain access abroad. The help information available on BT and FON's site is out of date and conflicting as FON / BT WiFi have gone through some changes and I'm not sure all the information is correct.

Would someone from BT be able to clarify these following points so that people who are experiencing issues can attempt to fault find and rectify their inability to connect. To confirm, we are talking about FON hotspots and not BT WiFi in the UK.

1.) Are all BT Broadband accounts holders (current and legacy) able to access FON abroad, subject to account setup?

2.) What are the requirements from an account setup perspective? Could you clarify where online a customer could log into to find their FON status? (eg Primary e-mail address, opt in status, password requirements etc).

3.) Is the customer required to be using a BT Broadband Home Hub (and thus broadcasting a FON hotspot) in addition to the above? Furthermore does the Home Hub have to be turned on and live while the customer is abroad and trying to access FON in France?

4.) Is there somewhere on the FON site where a customer can 'log in' using their BT Broadband and test if their login credentials will work prior to travel? I suggested here, but I'm not sure if that is correct: https://corp.fon.com/en/login

5.) If a customer is unable to gain access to a foreign FON hotspot, what could be the cause? More importantly, what actions should the customer take to resolve bearing in mind it is likely cost prohibitive for them to call.

Any more information to help your customers who are becoming frustrated at not being able to access a service they feel they are paying towards is very gratefully received.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Using FON Hotspots Abroad (eg SFR-with-FON) - Clarification from BT Please

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

Its possible a forum member may be able to help.

Is this link any help http://www.btfon.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Using FON Hotspots Abroad (eg SFR-with-FON) - Clarification from BT Please

I'd suggest that you wrote to BT but I fear you'd be wasting your time as they'd probably just say that you're entitled to use Fon and if it's not working it's a Fon problem. I've experimented with it in France and Belgium. It does work in the sense that it recognises me, but I've not yet found a connection that would give reasonable internet use. I don't bother with it at it's easier to find a commercial establishment with free wifi, though that doesn't help if you're out in the sticks with a caravan.

I might be able to help with some of your specific questions.

1.) Are all BT Broadband accounts holders (current and legacy) able to access FON abroad, subject to account setup?

They have to be current BT Broadband customers and opted in to BT Wi-Fi.

2.) What are the requirements from an account setup perspective? Could you clarify where online a customer could log into to find their FON status? (eg Primary e-mail address, opt in status, password requirements etc).

You can check your BT Wi-Fi status here. If you're opted in you're a member of Fon.

3.) Is the customer required to be using a BT Broadband Home Hub (and thus broadcasting a FON hotspot) in addition to the above? Furthermore does the Home Hub have to be turned on and live while the customer is abroad and trying to access FON in France?

You don't have to have your router switched on or even need to use a BT hub, you just need to be opted in.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings