Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Using HH3 to extend wifi range of HH4

Go to solution

I've replaced my HH3 with a HH4 in the hope of resolving wifi coverage through my house, but it hasn't solved the problem. So I'm now looking at using the HH3 as a wifi range extender for the HH4.

My understanding is that the HH3 can't be used as a wireless repeater but has to be wired to the 'master' HH4. Is that correct?

On the assumption that this is correct I have the following questions -

Can I use powerline as an ethernet connection between the 2 homehubs?

I already use powerline adapters for my BT vision tv service, can I also use them for extending my ethernet to the second homehub (at the same time)?

Would this require one extra powerline adapter (for the slave hub) or two (one for the slave and a second for the source master hub)?

Would the powerline adapter(s) need to be the same make/model as the ones already in use or would any additional ones work ok?

Finally, would I be better abandoning the idea of using the HH3 to extend my broadband/wifi range and invest in a hotspot 500 or extender 600 kit instead?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Using HH3 to extend wifi range of HH4

Go to solution

There are some guides on this page.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/wirelessmenu.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Keith, many thanks for the quick response. The guides in your link seem to confirm that I would need to extend my Ethernet via powerline and then plug my slave hub into that and configure it to work with the master HH4. But they don't seem to answer my questions on whether I can do this whilst using the electricity wires to link to bt vision elsewhere in the house at the same time, if I need a second power line adapter at the master HH4, and if these additional adapters need to be the same as the existing ones in use for the TV service

Thanks again for any further assistance
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@Cladri wrote:

I've replaced my HH3 with a HH4 in the hope of resolving wifi coverage through my house, but it hasn't solved the problem. So I'm now looking at using the HH3 as a wifi range extender for the HH4.

My understanding is that the HH3 can't be used as a wireless repeater but has to be wired to the 'master' HH4. Is that correct?

On the assumption that this is correct I have the following questions -

Can I use powerline as an ethernet connection between the 2 homehubs? Yes

I already use powerline adapters for my BT vision tv service, can I also use them for extending my ethernet to the second homehub (at the same time)? Yes

Would this require one extra powerline adapter (for the slave hub) or two (one for the slave and a second for the source master hub)? Only one. You already have the hub connected to the powerlines so all you need is another adaptor to "hook" into it.

Would the powerline adapter(s) need to be the same make/model as the ones already in use or would any additional ones work ok? In theory any powerline adaptor would do but in practice you are best to stick to same make , models etc. 

Finally, would I be better abandoning the idea of using the HH3 to extend my broadband/wifi range and invest in a hotspot 500 or extender 600 kit instead? That would probably be the better option. although it would obviously cost more than using the homehub 3. 

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks gg, appreciate your help. If I can find the same powerline adapter as my existing two then I will try the HH3 solution. If I can't and so would need to buy three identical replacements then I will probably put the money towards the proper extender kit instead. Thanks again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Just a quick update as for various reasons I've only recently got around to setting this up

Reconfiguring my HH3 as a slave to my HH4 was easy thanks to the info in the links provided above. Thanks again for those.

But the powerline adapters took a little bit of messing around with. I ended up with 4 pairs to play around with - an old light grey Comtrend set, a newer dark grey Comtrend set, and two sets of the latest BT-branded Flex 500. With no combinations of three of these could I get both target plugs to link with the source plug, even when using three of the apparently identical Flex 500's. Eventually I spotted that these have a MAC id printed on them and guessed they needed to be in the correct pair to work -  two that were otherwise identical but that had differents MAC's wouldn't connent to each other even with no other plug on the circuit at the same time. So I now have one of each Flex 500 pair in the same double socket and both wired to my HH4, and the other half each pair are wired to my Vision box and HH3 slave respectively, and it all works! 

So a small change to your advice on using three powerline plugs, but otherwise your help was spot on and got me all set up with wifi all round the house. Thanks again

0 Ratings