cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SameerM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Using a D-Link Dir-655 instead of a HomeHub3

i tried this recently, it worked intermittently, but the connection dropped very frequently and the router did seem to struggle. has anyone else used this router? is there any settings i can play around with to stabilise this? the HH3 only has one gigabit port, whereas the d-link has 4, which would be more suitable for my home network. i tried wiring the two together, but the NAT issues made me tear my hair out

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Using a D-Link Dir-655 instead of a HomeHub3

You should be able to set the D-Link up as a switch.  That way the HomeHub will be the only NATterer.  

You need to connect between a LAN socket on the HomeHub to a LAN (Not WAN) socket on the D-Link, and make sure that the D-Link has its DHCP server turned off.  Also, make sure the D-Link has an address (eg 192.168.1.60) which is on the HH address range, but outside its DHCP range.

Alternatively, you can buy a gigabit switch for about £15 to augment the HomeHub.  eg a TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D)

0 Ratings
SameerM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

So many acronyms. Okay, I'll trawl through Google and try to decipher your instructions, and report back when everything is fixed. 🙂

0 Ratings
SameerM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Okay, so I think I've figured out what I need to do - basically, I need to do three things:

1) Turn the DHCP server off for my D-Link (from my D-Link settings)

2) Set an IP address for my D-Link (from my HH settings)

3) Ensure that the above IP address isn't in the HH's DHCP range (from my HH settings)

Please verify this and I will continue

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 5

Almost.

You will probably have to set the IP address for the D-Link (2) on the D-Link itself rather than on the HomeHub.

Also, you will need (2a) to make sure the subnet mask on the D-Link is set to the value the HomeHub is using.  That will almost certainly be 255.255.255.0.  It will probably already be correct, but check anyway while you are doing step (2).

0 Ratings