cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BennyBoy1563
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Using a Home Hub 5 as the modem for my existing router?

Go to solution
Hi all,

I'm new on here so apologies if this has been asked before! I swear I have looked!!!
I currently use a D-Link AC1750 Router with a separate modem (ADSL Broadband) and have just signed up for BT Infinity.

My question is: How do I replace the modem with the Home Hub 5 but continue to use the AC1750 Router?

I don't really want to have to set up my home network all over again with the HH5!
Any help will be greatly appreciated 🙂

Regards,
Ben.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
stevebrass
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using a Home Hub 5 as the modem for my existing router?

Go to solution

Connect your router to one of the yellow ethernet port on the HH5.

Probably best to switch off wifi on the HH as well.

The HH is still acting as a modem/router but it has one client - your router - that then does all the routing you need.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
BennyBoy1563
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Great!

Didn't realise it would be that easy!
Would you advise turning off the HH5's more advanced features, to avoid double fire-walling and packet routing etc, or can I literally just turn the wifi off and have nothing working cross purposes between the two devices?

I should say I'm not home right now so can't just try it, hence my hypothesising! I just want to work out the quickest and best way to an easy life with the rest of the family when I get home tomorrow!!!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

It will not act as a router, as the HH5 cannot pass the WAN IP address to it, only a local LAN address, which you will have to define in the D-Link AC1750.

All you will be doing is to use the D-Link AC1750 as a wireless access point, and an Ethernet switch.

You will not be able to connect the HH5 to the WAN side of the D-Link AC1750, like you did with the modem, you would have to connect it to one of the LAN ports and disable DHCP.

Its a bit of a waste of a D-Link AC1750 using it this way. A better option would be to get hold of an Openreach VDSL modem and connect that to the WAN port of the D-Link AC1750. It would then operate as a proper router.

stevebrass
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I certainly don't have Keith's technical knowledge.

But I have been running an aiport express router connected to a HH5 in this way with no issues.

All the wired and wife connections are through the airport express which happily dispenses IP addresses in the apple 10.0 etc range.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@stevebrass wrote:

I certainly don't have Keith's technical knowledge.

But I have been running an aiport express router connected to a HH5 in this way with no issues.

All the wired and wife connections are through the airport express which happily dispenses IP addresses in the apple 10.0 etc range.

You would be in effect doing a double NAT, which the airport express may be capable of doing. I doubt that the D-Link AC1750 is capable of that, as most routers require an Internet routable address to be present at the WAN input, not a private address range.

Having a double NAT presents major issues if you want to host any services on your network.

There is a post here which explains what is going on with the airport express.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1698438

Its specifically designed to extend an existing network by using double-NAT.

I doubt very much that you can do the same with the D-Link AC1750.

BennyBoy1563
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks guys,
I'm guessing I'll just have to try it and see. If I have no joy I'm buying an openreach modem!
0 Ratings
BennyBoy1563
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

So,

I couldn't find a way of using the HH5 as a modem into my D-link router, as was suggested here.

I have an OpenReach modem on the way though so I'll be happy when I have it Smiley Very Happy

The HH5 seems ok for plug n play but as it has no Media server for the USB port and is only USB 2 compatible it just doesn't quite do it for me.

Thanks for your help chaps, much appreciated!

Ben

0 Ratings
BennyBoy1563
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
To summarise,
Once I worked out you have to put a random password into the D-Link router (user name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com) it was dead simple! So if it doesn't work for future readers, just put a PW in the box!!!
Happy days!
0 Ratings