cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Using an ASUS RT-AX88U router

Just wondering if anyone has set up their FTTP broadband with an ASUS RT-AX88U router, either using the stock firmware or the Merlin version of the stock firmware and if so,  what results did you get in terms of speed and reliability? I'm planning to use mine next week when the full-fibre broadband is installed and I've just changed my log-in details from my old Plusnet account to be bthomehub@btbroadband.com with BT as the password (which I understand can be anything you like). I haven't changed any other settings, so hopefully everything will just work when I connect my newly-laid Cat 7 Ethernet cable from the router to the ONT. Just one other question - does OpenDNS work with FTTP and if so, are upload and download speeds comparable to the default BT DNS settings?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Using an ASUS RT-AX88U router

@SixtiesFan 

I can't see any reason why the Asus shouldn't work just fine with no difference in reliability when you used it on Plusnet.

As far as firmware is concerned I've always stuck with Asus's rather than Merlin as for me there's been no worthwhile improvements, also until recently modded firmware has only been for the RT devices whereas I've the DSL variety.

You might need to use the wizard to set up the BT connection as there might possibly be a difference in the settings.

As far as OpenDNS is concerned just try it and see. It's unlikely that you'd notice any differences in performance between that & BT's DNS servers but with the obvious benefits that OpenDNS  provides.

All rather generic I'm afraid as I'm not in your fortunate position only having 50meg FTTC 😔

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

OK thanks. I'll see what happens next week.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I've got the same router and I got working.  This worked for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DueAvG-dCHU

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Using RT-AX86U no problems.  I assume your not being migrated or want to use Digital Voice for Telephone?

If you are, then you cannot use your ASUS router as the main router. You would need to use SH2 connected to ONT and then your ASUS connected to the SH2 with most options on SH2 disabled and DMZ active pointing to your ASUS so it can still manage DHCP, FIrewall, VPN etc.  

0 Ratings