Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockintone
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Using existing BT Vision Box to view pre-recorded programmes

Hi all,

Maybe one for the Mods but here goes:-

I have just upgraded to Youview and the box will arrive next week (or so I am told).  I currently have a black bt vision box and my wife has loads of recordings still to watch.   My question is this, when the Youview box arrives and I connect it up to the internet (and hence disconnect the old btvision box) will the old btvsion box still allow me to watch any recordings that are on it?  I am sure I have read somewhere that once the bt vision box is switched off and rebooted without a connection to the internet you looose all functionality.

Any help/assistance would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Using existing BT Vision Box to view pre-recorded programmes

@Rockintone wrote:

Hi all,

Maybe one for the Mods but here goes:-

I have just upgraded to Youview and the box will arrive next week (or so I am told).  I currently have a black bt vision box and my wife has loads of recordings still to watch.   My question is this, when the Youview box arrives and I connect it up to the internet (and hence disconnect the old btvision box) will the old btvsion box still allow me to watch any recordings that are on it?  I am sure I have read somewhere that once the bt vision box is switched off and rebooted without a connection to the internet you looose all functionality.

Any help/assistance would be appreciated.

It depends on what software is on it - you could set the box up in another room and have it connected to internet and it may still work fully for you, but this is not guaranteed

0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Hi, we moved from the black vision box to YouView just before Christmas.
Both boxes are working with full functionality on both; we did not loose the recordings.
Tim
Rockintone
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the replies,

Just to be clear I do not intend to connect the BT Vision box to the internet once my Youview box arrives. Anyone tried to see if a btvision box will still allow you to watch any pre recorded stuff on it without an internet connection?

0 Ratings
easybreeze
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Try it now... Unplug the lan cable, this will stop it talking to the internet and put you in the same position.

I can't imagine it will stop working but then why do BT state that it will?
0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

When the YouView box arrived I was a good boy at first and didn't use the Black Vision Box at all; however with three home from Uni demand to tempt fate was great so we started it off without the BB connection. It had a hissy fit and would not work so after ~10 minutes gave up and put in the network cable and it started. If you play around with it and have more patience than me you might do better.

I do recall that the EPG comes down the broadband so certainly that functionality will go id there is no connection.

Tim

0 Ratings
WhyWhy
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi

Did you ever manage to watch your recordings on your old box? I'm in same situation, new box works well, but old box says "looking for network"....all I want to do is watch old recordings, before sending back the box...

D

0 Ratings