Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattfb
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Using old email address after I've switched to BT

Hi

Hope someone can help me. I'm in the process of switching Broadband from EE to BT. I currently have a Freeserve email address (supplied by EE) which I use to log in to several online accounts (shopping etc) and also for emailing. I also have a Hotmail account. I access both accounts on my laptop through Windows Live Mail.

Once I have switched will I still be able to use the Freeserve account or will it be closed. Also, will the emails that I have already received on my Freeserve account still be accessable or will I have to save them before switchover. I have previously moved some emails from the Freeserve to the Hotmail by right clicking/move to folder etc but will they still be there after switchover or will I have to Forward them one by one.

Finally, will the Freeserve address still be active as a Log in/user name for websites?

While I'm fairly capable at doing stuff I'm not always sure of the technical jargon so please keep any answers as simple as possible,

Many thanks in advance

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Using old email address after I've switched to BT

It will make no difference which ISP EE or BT etc for using any of the free mail sevices they will be the same as before. The problem will arise if you have any email addresses supplied by EE as part of your package (free or paid for) You will need to contact EE if you have any to see what happens to them. It is possible you will either lose them or have to pay to continue to use them.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Welcome to the forum. If the provider keeps your Freeserve account alive, switching broadband ISPs shouldn't make any difference. If not, you may have to make some changes but any messages already downloaded to WLM should be safe. Closure of the account would not prevent you continuing to use the address simply as a username but it might be sensible to update it as you go along.

EDIT: Posted before seeing Bob's reply.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
mattfb
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks very much, thats pretty much as I thought. I'll give them a ring on monday.

0 Ratings