cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jammy
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Using the BT FON App on the iPhone

I thought that the whole point of the new App was that it logged you in automatically.  Otherwise why does it ask you for your email address and password?

It is very irritating to go out, come home and then find that your browsing doesn't work properly, especially if the internet is being searched by another app, only to find that your iphone has connected to BT FON instead of Homehub.

The question is;  how can we stop the iphone from selecting BT FON ahead of Homehub?  You should not have to go into WIFI settings every time you come home!  

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Using the BT FON App on the iPhone

Not sure exactly how it works on the iPhone, but check the app and phone settings for prioritisation options.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

[Im not an i phone user].

The theory is that if you are away from your hhub; the app connects to the nearest hub.  When this happens and you go home, the device will try and capture the same type of connection BTfon-H.

Im sure somewhere in the app there is a choice of connection modes and preferences. Something like "connect me to Fon/BTOZ when my hub is unavailable.  The device is connecting to Fon because it stores it at the last available connection.

You could always give the Fon helpdesk a ring, they'll jump straight to the configuration of the i phone app for you.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

@AllanQuatermain wrote:

Im sure somewhere in the app there is a choice of connection modes and preferences. Something like "connect me to Fon/BTOZ when my hub is unavailable. 

There was, but it seems to have disappeared with the recent major upgrade. All I can find now are three options, "Login Automatically", "Prioritise Your wi-fi networks" and "Auto Log out when idle". I have all of them checked, and my phone connects automatically if I am in a hotspot and then to my home hub when I get back to chez pp. In fact, while these settings are checked it will not connect to my own Fon even if I select it in the wifi settings menu.

@jammy

In the absence of a response from another iPhone user, I suggest that you check your app for similar settings and see how it goes. Let us know the outcome.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
KennyR
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi,I do not have an IPhone,but an IPod 4g touch screen.I have downloaded the BTFon app,and what happened with me,was that I only had to log in with user name and password once,after that I just have to click on the app,and then click on connect and I am on.I find it strange that it connects you automatically,I don`nt think it does this because most people`s main ISP addy won`t be the BTFon one.Hope this has been of some help. Kenny

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@KennyR wrote:

I find it strange that it connects you automatically,I don`nt think it does this because most people`s main ISP addy won`t be the BTFon one.

Mine does. If I want the internet out and about, and I happen to be near a hotspot with wifi switched on, the phone will be already connected. When I get back home it will connect automatically to my network rather than my Fon.
--
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@pottyperson wrote:

@KennyR wrote:

I find it strange that it connects you automatically,I don`nt think it does this because most people`s main ISP addy won`t be the BTFon one.

Mine does. If I want the internet out and about, and I happen to be near a hotspot with wifi switched on, the phone will be already connected. When I get back home it will connect automatically to my network rather than my Fon.

I've just been to Canterbury. I know a couple of reliable hotspots there so I thought I'd check my above statement. Oops, I've got to change my mind.

I went to a strong Fon hotspot and my phone connected straight away. But I could not get the internet because the Fon app was saying that it could not identify the hotspot; that's a problem which has been reported several times in these forums. I went to a nearby business Openzone hotspot and had no problem. I tried another Fon hotspot then returned to the first one; same result. So I uninstalled the app and got the internet manually with no trouble. In fact the Fon landing page had retained login details, so I only had to tap the button to say I was a BT BB customer. 

I downloaded the recent app update after my last successful login, so I have to join those who think that maybe the "cr" was left off the front of the new version of the app. It's now working erratically and prevents manual connection as long as it's installed. I can manage without it until news of a further update reaches wildest Kent.   

--
Message 8 of 10

I have exactly the same problem and it os very annoying - I cannot find a way to prioritise my homehub - has anyone else had any joy?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

I take it you've read message 4. Apart from those settings, I can't add anything else except that I'm doing very well without the app and wonder whether it's worth bothering with pending a better update.

--
0 Ratings
jammy
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

1)To connect fully to a hotspot I have to run the BTFON app.  It does the logging in.  The problem is that Mail, Safari etc., are already failing because the connection is there but I am not logged in until I run the BTFON app.  Thus the app isn't much good unless it can be made to launch automatically and make a full connection all by itself, without any human intervention.

2)Regarding the IPhone WIFI choosing BTFON over Homehub, I really don't see where the BTFON app comes in.  Surely it it the IPhone WIFI bit that decides which hotspot to choose.  It seems to work alphabetically so I could fix the problem by renaming my Home Hub ... and then updating all the other wireless bits of kit!

I don't think so.

Some things seem never to leave the stone age!

0 Ratings