cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lawing
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Usual terrible service from BT that I've come to expect. Can't wait to leave.

Firstly this is a bit of a long story as the issue has been going on for ages now so bare with me...

I have 2 lines coming into the same property. One has been stable for the majority of it's time for the last few years that I've had it (not always with BT) I then had to have a second line put in as I work from home and the average d/l speed I get in my area is terrible. 

It took BT a month to get this new line working and up to speed (to the same as my other line) it was then stable for a few months, then had a problem, lost internet on it for a couple of weeks, got it back then again, lost it again, this has repeated itself for a while until it was stable for about 3 months at an acceptable speed.

Now a month ago I lost connection on the 2nd line again, after reconnecting it was running at a 10th of the speed I should get. BT told me time and time again there was no issue on the line but I finally got them to send an Engineer out. This engineer changed the socket/filter on the wall and my speed increased. But a few days later the speed had dropped again (all this time my other line had a stable connection at a decent speed) I complained again but BT kept telling me the 2nd line was at an acceptable speed and there was no issue on the line (even though it was running at a 10th of what the other line into the property was at. They even had the cheek to close the fault and report as "fixed".

Now this brings me to 2 days ago when both my lines simultaneously disconnected and after reconnecting were both running at extremely slow speeds. So again I complained, BT assured me yet again there was no fault on the line but would send an engineer round. The engineer arrived but could apparently only work on one of the lines (my original old line) as he didnt have the details for the 2nd line (even though this is the one that was probably the source of the problem as it has had the most issues in the past). He left without fixing it and put it down to some sort of electrical interference and they would send another team out.

Now I have just phoned and for the first time spoken to an English lady who ran a couple of tests on my 2nd line and confirmed there was infact a problem with the line. 

So after 2 months of terrible service and complaints and BT telling me they had fixed everything I am left with 2 internet lines that don't work and BT finally sending out an engineer to work on the right line next week "apparently".

Anyone else received such terrible service from this ridiculous company, anyone have any advice on complaining to them about their service and getting compensation?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Usual terrible service from BT that I've come to expect. Can't wait to leave.

is one of your connection which you use for work purposes a business line?  if so then you should be able to get some compensation for loss of conenction

however if both lines are residential line even though you use one for business then you are limited to a refund of line rental for the down period excluding the first 3 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lawing
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: Usual terrible service from BT that I've come to expect. Can't wait to leave.

Both residential lines, yes they will give me compensation for the period that the fault was open for but this does not cover all the time that the internet is down for. Oh well they have lost another customer when my contract runs out in a couple of months. Off to Virgin/SKY like everyone else, cheaper, reliable service and a customer service team that isn't there just to waste your time.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

regardless of provider apart from cable they all use Openreach to provide and maintain the network and will be using the same cables from your home to the exchange
0 Ratings
Lawing
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I'm talking about terrible BT service, I realise all ISP will use the same line/network. My problem is with how long it takes BT to fix a problem and their organisational skills at getting to the route of the problem. You go round and round in circles with BT before they finally sort out an engineer for you only for them to do something stupid like send out a phone line engineer instead of a broadband one, or send an engineer out to only work on one of your lines. Meaning that you then have to spend more time arrangnig for a new engineer to come out. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

it will not be any better with anyone else as Openreach treats all providers equally and hey will send the engineer they feel is the correct one
0 Ratings
ohuk
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

My advice: leave [Re: Usual terrible service from BT that I've come to expect. Can't wait to leave.]

Check my posting history, I have two broadband connections (BT and TalkTalk) because I work from home when not travelling and can't afford to be without a reliable service.

My view is that BT is completely useless, unreliable service, with terrible and patronizing support.

The BT connection used to be my primary connection but over the years BT's service and support have degraded disgracefully, and now TalkTalk is my primary connection. My advice is quite simply: unless you need certain services (like BT WiFi when travelling) - leave.