cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

VDSL stats and interleaving depth. Possible fast path?

Hi,

I recently purchased ECI openreach modem b-focus v-2fub/r Rev.B from well known auction site. Its been 2 days now powered on master socket -> eci modem -> hh5 just as router. Unfortunately the modem is locked so I am unable to see any kind of stats. Since I connected the modem my download speed dropped down to 40mbps from 43mbps and I can't see any difference in latency however I have been monitoring my stats through mydslwebstats.co.uk on their site.

Here are some screenshot of the stats since the modem is connected. Should I be worried about? Is 705 interleaving depth considered as high? Are there too much CRC errors? Interleaving delay is 8, does it mean 8ms added to my original latency? At the moment both up and down SNR are at stable 6.0-6.2dB. Line attenuation is 23.4dB. May I go on fastpath after few weeks of stable connection? Stats with modem connected are since 11th june from about 11am.

stats.jpg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TreeRat
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: VDSL stats and interleaving depth. Possible fast path?

Errrr.....

Maybe I'm missing something here

If the modem is locked how are you getting the stats out of it for you to then upload to that monitoring website

I think you have to be running the DSL stats program anyway on an unlocked modem to do the upload in the background.

0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

@TreeRat

Just realised these stats may not be true. I didn't have to upload anything on that website though, just opened it and the stats appeared. After resync, it still shows 705 depth of interleaving and 8 delay.

Don't want to say it to early but this morning my modem resynced and my ping is about 8ms lower than before, so happy with that! 22ms to bbc.co.uk now but why the 3rd hop on trace route shows 20ms?

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 4 of 7

I was wondering that as well with a normal eci/r 😄 

It took my line  a month or so for the dlm to remove its silly restrictions after the hh5a problems.

There is  a (pre re transmissiom) dlm guide on pn which is useful until your street box gets upgraded in the new few weeks

http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/

Shame you didn't get an unlocked HG612 3B so you can use all the fancy graphys 🙂

Also the normal locked down eci/r  doesn't work with upstream retransmission (g.inp) and just adds latency on the downstream connection  according to btretails sister isp plusnet.*  😞

*{plusnet Forum}

"With regards to the ECI equipment it can't do retransmission on the upstream but when that profile was applied people were seeing higher latency when using a ECI modem"

0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

I was thinking about huaewei modem, but since my DSLAM is ECI I bought eci modem then. I don't know what my original latency was i think something about 16ms on open profile, getting 22ms, hoping DLM will decrease a few ms in a bit.

So basically are you saying that g.inp is a good thing and it helps to make latency much lower? As far as I know ECI dslams don't support g.inp.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi

Unfortunately this "patched" BT openreach version of re-transmission is not good for those looking for low lantency with eci/r's 😞   (g.inp I believe is  priority to broadcom?)

The eci street boxes  are still plained to get re-transmission over the summer/autumn according to the post on bt retails sister isp plusnet .  { Their is a very large quite technical thread  on their forum - I'd post a link but it keeps getting removed}

There seems to be no fix for the eci/r modem .....

Its silly situation all round and why the guru's have been recommending HG612 3B's as everything "just works".

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/G-INP-affecting-certain-eci-modems-resultin...

Hopefully your street box  will be well down the upgrade list for time for  openreach to maybe come up with something for the eci/r.

0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

thanks Barry for some useful information! 🙂

Anyway as long as I am getting nearly full speed my line can handle and ping is actually fine I can't complain. Will see in next few weeks how it goes. Still hoping for another resync with lower latency!

0 Ratings