Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

VERY Bad Noise on Line

Hi there,

I'm not sure how long this has been going on for as I use a line primarily for broadband. I never knew that I should be getting speeds far higher than what I am currently getting except for checking out that 'Katz Line Calculator' and for enquiring on some online forums.

I currently live around 2 miles from the exchange. All the telecoms are overhead and not underground.

I currently receive speeds of about 1.5Mbps download and 0.38Mbps upload and I have been happy with this (but haven't knew that I could be getting far higher).

Over the past week or so, I have been getting very bad ping/latency results on speedtests.

Every time I reset my router, they seem to go back down to 70ms although they quickly rise back up to in between 300ms and 900ms. I have tried two other different routers and they overcome the same issue. I believe 70ms is normal for this area *I think* because a different line right beside me gets it aswell and a neighbour also gets around 60-70ms.

Because I only use the line for broadband and because I run a business using VoIP, the high ping has been very bad for my business. I can barely have a normal conversation with customers and this is affecting sales very badly nevermind the amount of times staff are giving off about the lag on the phones.

If I plug a normal phone (with nothing else connected i.e; router), all I can hear is a loud noise which is constant. I have tried a few different phones and they all have this issue. 

I unscrewed the master socket and everything looks fine (by the way, this is the only socket, there are no other extensions connected on this line - just one master socket).

Unfortunately, if I were to use the actual phone service on the line, I would barely be able to hear the person on the other end it was so bad. Remember, this even occured with no router or modem plugged in to the socket.

Also, on the line right beside this one, I am currently receiving about the same speeds (1.5Mbps down / 0.34Mbps upload). There is a slight noise on that line as well but barely not even to reach the noise on the line we're primarily talking about.

Below I have posted my line stats - I use the Linksys WAG354G. My ping is extremely high all day time. 

DSL Status:
 UP  
   DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT  
   DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED  
   Downstream Rate: 4512 Kbps  
   Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps  
   Downstream Margin: 11 db  
   Upstream Margin: 21 db  
   Downstream Line Attenuation: 40  
   Upstream Line Attenuation: 19  
   Downstream Transmit Power: 0  
   Upstream Transmit Power: 0

I'd very much appreciate if you could help me. By the way, I tried plugging a socket direct into the distribution point (exactly where it's coming into the building, nothing else is in it's way and it still got this issue).

Regards,

Jack

EDIT: Just to add - my ping has never been lower than 70 on both lines. Is this a fault and can I address that with BT? I am using speedtest.net on local servers.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: VERY Bad Noise on Line

You didn't mention but I assume that you had a filter plugged in when you tested with the standard phone.

If you did use a filter then try a quite line test - 17070 option 2 - best done with a wired phone and you should hear nothing. When you do the quite line test use the test socket if you have one. This eliminates your wiring as being part of the problem. If the noise is not caused by your wires then report a noise fault on the phone line - do not mention broadband. Be aware that if the fault is found to be in your wiring then BT will charge for the call out.
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I have already done that and it is still very noisy. What I was wondering though is... if there is a lot of noise on the line, does that mean that I would get a higher latency/ping on speed tests?

Jack

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

If you have a lot of noise on the line then the data stream becomes more interlaced to try and over come the noise.

Have a read here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm

Did you get any joy from reporting the noise as a phone fault?
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Just reported it there and they're sending an engineer out today between one and six.

But would there be a problem if the latency is 70ms+ ALL the time in my area and not just for myself?

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

If you can get rid of the noise and get a stable line then it might be worth asking to have interlacing removed. This may then help reduce the latency.

If the noise is being caused in the cable that connects you all then curing the fault will reduce the issue for all the lines.
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

But how would I know if there was an external cable for example in the exchange which was causing ping to be very high?

Jack

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

You will not - the high ping is probably caused but the additional noise on your line and the interleaving that the exchange is doing to overcome it.

The cable from the exchange to the local cabinet will hold many pairs within it. From the cabinet there will be a number of cables running towards various premises. These are then split again usually into a 2 pair cable that will run to your house. The fault creating the noise could be anywhere between the socket in your house and the exchange. The more people affected the closer the fault is likely to be to the exchange.
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Engineer yesterday was useless. Evening appointments on a Friday will always be a disaster as the engineers just want to get home. Came to my premises tutting and huffing. Couldn't understand why I had reported a fault on a telephone line I don't use for calls. He said that the noise was electricity induction somewhere on the line. He said that this had nothing to do with a 'line fault' and I needed to report it as a 'broadband fault'. Basically told me that I should leave it as is because I don't use it for calls. I am paying for a service, I should get full use of it regardless of anything. 

Engineer went to the cabinet and called me. He said that he is getting a full 8Mbps at the cabinet, OFCOURSE you are because that's where you would get the highest speeds.

Overall, line noise means slow broadband.

I then scheduled another appointment yesterday for today (between 1pm and 6pm), wouldn't you know, engineer didn't show up.

Called up BT India, said they checked at the exchange and could find nothing. OF COURSE you couldn't because it's probably on the pole you idiots.

I've waited all day and have taken time off work for BT not to show up. I am furious and steaming.

I've seen lots of people around this forum in the same situation as me, BT not showing up. I'll be submitting a complaint to Ofcom as this isn't a single issue, there are plenty of other people who are suffering from the same thing.

I'm waiting for a call back by 7.30pm - if this isn't fixed by weeks end then I'll be sickened by the lack of communications and rudeness of BT Openreach.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 10 of 13

Hi jdowning640,

Really sorry the engineer was unhelpful, that's really poor.

If you don't receive your call-back this evening could you send in an email with your forum username and BT account details and I'll check this to see what we can do help?

If you click on my username you'll be able to get our forum moderation email address.

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings