Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
neowl
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

VERY SLOW BROADBAND For past 2-3 Weeks

Okay, we have the BT Broadband Option 3 'Unlimited' (supposedly) and BT Vision Silver, and we usually have an average download speed of around 300kb/s. Abysmal I know, but it's fine for what I use it for.

In July we had some troubles where our speed was capped to around 20kb/s, which was soon resolved by a phonecall to customer services.

Fast forward to now, we have barely been using our service here, yet now our speed has fallen to 30-40kb/s download speed. I cannot use any services I usually use (Xbox live, iPlayer, BT Vision), and I'm at a lost cause.

The BT speedtester nearly always fails to work on two computers we have in the house (one connected to the Homehub 2.0 using ethernet, the other using wireless).

To make matters worse, BT state that our areas speed SHOULD be around 5mb. I doubt very much that 300kb/s translates as such, neither does the 30-40kb/s we are getting currently.

Can someone please tell me what's going on?

Oh, and I don't want to jump through hoops, connecting to the master socket et all, as simply, there's nothing wrong with the line throughout the house.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: VERY SLOW BROADBAND For past 2-3 Weeks

more information is needed to be able to make any suggestion so can you post the adsl stats from your router and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results if possible ( is your java up to date?). Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
neowl
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I stated in the post that btspeedester nearly never works for me, it's nothing to do with JAVA (as I have the current version), and today is no different. Either I get an error saying that the tester isn't working, or that the tester cannot get the assured rate throughout.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

then post your router adsl stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
neowl
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

This is how it after we moved the homehub to an area without any electrical interferance.

Will post another report in 24 hours, as I know it takes time for the line to become stable after a hub reset.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:17:32
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.1 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)42.0 dB / 26.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)13.1 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)9146 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0
0 Ratings
neowl
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Okay, it's been 24 hours, and no improvement at all, if anything, things are much worse.

Here are my stats from the Hub manager:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 0:42:06
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.3 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)42.0 dB / 26.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)13.1 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)491116 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)31 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)25
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

apart from very slow down speed there is nothing that jumps out on the stats you posted.  I read your comment about the master socket but BT will ask you to connect to the master socket or better the test socket so they can eliminate any problems from internal extensions.  that's up to you but it gives you a better case to get action and even an engineer visit if you can show that your internal extensions are not the problem

0 Ratings
Tven0
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I see you use a lot of services and connect a lot of devices to the Internet. Here are a few pointers:

1) Have you tested your Internet with your TV off, Xbox off, other PC's off and only the single main PC doing the test and using the Internet at one time? I'd recommend doing the test with the Ethernet connected PC. BT Vision apparently reduces the bandwidth available to other devices when you're watching TV so if you've got the telly on it may be affecting the broadband speed. Same goes for other PC's or the Xbox so turn them off.

2) A 'Fair Usage Policy' applies to all BT Broadband packages.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346,401,419,424

This means if you are a heavy broadband user (as you seem to be), then they may reduce your speed at peak times. Try contacting BT and see if they are indeed limiting your speed considering the amount of products you use with the internet, I suspect this is a possibility. You may be able to get them to temporarily speed it up for you or at least confirm you are being limited. Considering you were capped in July, I am thinking this may be the case again.

3) 5MB is not a lot at all. If 5MB is the fastest your area can get, then at peak times you will get considerably less than that because of everybody else in your local area connecting to the internet at the same time and trying to access the internet with a measly 5MB connection. If you add this to somebody in your house using the Xbox, another PC accessing the Internet and BT Vision on the TV then you'll get very low speeds indeed.

4) Does the wirelessly connected PC have a Wireless N adapter or Wireless G? N Adapter's are considerably faster and can carry more data across so that would be a good solution to slightly boost up your wireless PC's connection.

5) Make sure no programs are running in the background that may be hogging your Internet connection.

0 Ratings