cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reverend2100
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

VERY Slow Infinity - 8 or 9mb

I moved into my new house last weekend.  I'm paying for Infinity.

I was quoted speeds of between 15 and 21mb when I placed the order.  I'm getting 8 to 9. 

This has remained stable since Tuesday, so preumably it's not going to slowly creep up, as this would have done by now.

What can I do?  the equipment seems old too - Old faceplate, with filters on the lines... At my previous house (next door actually, so I have the perfect point of reference) I had new faceplates on the Master Socket and was getting 17mb download. Both properties are the same distance from the telegraph pole that delivers the phones.

Here's the BT Speedtest results:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 9.22 Mbps

0 Mbps9.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.22 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 6.61 Mbps-9.44 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 9.44 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1.16 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.16Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: VERY Slow Infinity - 8 or 9mb

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Reverend2100
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

fiber.PNG

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Do you have the order confirmation?

As it stands, you're within the expected range of speeds according to the Wholesale DSL availability checker.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Reverend2100
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Yes I have the order confirmation... This is a cut n paste from the email:

How fast will it be?

We estimate your download speed will be between 15Mb and 21Mb, and your upload speed will be between 2Mb and 4Mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 13Mb.

...and as I say, my previous house was only next door, and the telegraph pole that provides service to both properties is between them, so in theory, this house should get more-or-less the same speed as next door which had 17mb dl.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Are you currently connected to an extension socket? Are you able to locate the master socket and remove the faceplate, then plug the router directly into the test socket using a filter?

If you can do that and post the connection stats from your router, that will help identify if there's a potential problem with your internal wiring.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Reverend2100
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

I'll give the test socket a go, back soon...

Reverend2100
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Ok so... there is no test socket. I pulled off the faceplate and it is empty inside (apart from wires, obviously).

It looks like this box is in turn fed by a wire that comes from an ancient looking oval-ish white box, which in turn is fed by two ancient paired grey cables that come fom the roof area - presumably eventally to the telegraph pole.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

the oval box is probably a junction box.  if you have 2 cable coming into the box is it possble that one of the wires is the incoming openreach connection but the other is outgoing feeding an extension socket upstairs or in another room?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Reverend2100
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

No I don't think so - the two grey wires look old old.  Looking at the whole setup, everything before the Master Socket looks pre-war. Seriously.

0 Ratings