Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBilsland
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

VPN Firmware Issue

Hi Support,

I'm having an issue establishing VPN connections through my Home Hub 3A. After plenty of reading I found the forum thread about a new firmware version (Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A)) that was rolled out in March '13 with VPN issues that match my problem (VPN connection dropping after 20 seconds). The firmware version matched that of my hub and a solution was provided (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49024/?s_cid=con_FURL_help/vpn) by SeanD, community manager. I followed the provided instructions and emailed hh3acustomersupport@bt.com with the required information on the 14th December.

Now my question is, is this still the correct thing to do to report this issue? I ask this beacuse by the 22nd December I had heard nothing and nothing had changed. I attempted to contact customer services using the on-line help system, but unfortunately they weren't unable to help, even after I had provided links to the pages where the issue was detailed. The best they could do was provide a number to call. I called this number and got much the same response, unable to help even thought I provided them with the details of the problem and solution that had been acknowledged in the forum. My third attempt was to tweet cusomter services (@BTCare) who to their credit got back to me with a different contact me page where I could provide them with the details of my issue.

Unfortunately after providing them with all the details all they could suggest was to contact the technical team which could potentially cost me. Now I have noticed that the firmware on my hub claims to have been updated (but still shows the same firmware version) on the 9th January. I have attempted to establish a stable VPN connection but it still drops after approximatly 20 seconds. Is it still correct to email hh3acustomersupport@bt.com? Has the solution already been applied or can the solution be applied to my Home Hub 3A? Does the issue exist on the latest Home Hub 5?

Thanks,

Robert Bilsland.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Alan_Blyther
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: VPN Firmware Issue

Hello

I have precisely the same issue. The 'new firmware kills vpn' thread indicates a fix was made available around March 27 2014.

VPN access works perfectly elsewhere so I would be grateful if someone would advise how to obtain a resolution for this known BT issue (without incurring a cost).

Best regards

Alan 

0 Ratings
Alan_Blyther
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

0 Ratings
RBilsland
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the link but unfortunately that was the page I used on the 14th of December 2014 to try and get the fix applied to my Home Hub 3A. From that email request I have not heard anything (either positive or negative). I can only assume that the "fix" has not been applied as the problem still exists.

Thanks again,

Robert.

0 Ratings
Alan_Blyther
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

You are welcome, fingers crossed for both of us then!
0 Ratings
RBilsland
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Hi Alan,

There is light at the end of the tunnel for me, so I hope so too for you. I was just in the middle of some surfing and my Internet connection dropped. When it retuend I noticed that my Home Hub had completely reset and was wanting me to change the default passowrd. Luckily I had noted all the important information down and soon had everthing configured as before. A quick look and my firmware had been rolled back to version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A). I don't know what functionality is now missing (if any). The important fact is that I can now establish a stable VPN connection, phew.

This may have taken 1 calendar month to get sorted but it is now sorted. It would appear that if a solution to a problem appears here on the forum then just deal with the forum. On-line chat couldn't help, a telephone call to support couldn't help, a tweet to BT Care only could suggest that I called their techinal support guys (that might cost), but finally just over 3 days after posting a message to this forum everything seems sorted.

I've had no offical confirmation either here or by email of this change but at least a change has been made and things are working again.

Fingers crossed for you and to whoever got this sorted, thanks 😄

Robert.

0 Ratings