Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: VPN, HH5, UDP and MAC Codes

Hi

I use VPN to connect to my employers systems several times a week and have done so for 6+ years using HH3, HH4 and now HH5 and they have all worked seamlessly.

I was on the trial for the HH5 (yes I am allowed to tell you that!) and i have no recollection of other triallists reporting VPN issues and there were many of us for quite a long time so i am confident a systemic issue would have been noted based on the technology & processes at the time.

It used to be recommended that web address help was disabled - http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi  if you havent already tried that. Otherwise I appreciate that this does not give you answers but perhaps it gives a steer to the more technically minded who might help you identify the underlying issue which i do not believe is generic HH centric.

Good luck

Tim

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 16

@TimSmedley

I'm minded of the time I used to teach. Occasionally some poor soul, in utter exasperation, would collapse into the staffroom during a break and complain about the malevolent naure of this class or that. Inevitably, someone would shout "well they're OK with me". It doesn't really help - does it?

I think if you read through my posts it is pretty clear that HH5 fails to allow UDP traffic on port 53 to TLS handshake. It is also pretty clear that the network I'm on stops VPN connectivity using PPTP after between 30 or 190 MB has transfered. I would repectfully suggest that your traffic to work and back never gets to these levels.

I summarize and repeat; same Linux laptop;  same VPN Provider; same Encrypted PPTP but on a wireless tether via my mobile network works flawlessly. Using  a different OpenVPN protocol, UDP traffic to my VPN provider fails through HH5 but works well on HH3. How can that not be either Hub or BT Network? Also I came here because, The Guardian, I think it was, pointed out that BT seemed to have a systemic problem for some VPN users. Where have you been hiding?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 16

One further point and I'll probably shutup...

My VPN service did work fine. Only in the last few months has PPTP failed. BT or GCHQ have changed something. So @TimSmedley something else to consider before giving a shill's thumbs-up and all clear to to Aunty BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 16

I thought it would be worth bumping this thread lest we all forget about it.

I presume that the technical team responsible for the HH5 haven't yet had anything to say about the issues raised here about VPN with a HH5, and passed to them by our Mods?

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 16

@Brighton_Rock wrote:

I thought it would be worth bumping this thread lest we all forget about it.

I presume that the technical team responsible for the HH5 haven't yet had anything to say about the issues raised here about VPN with a HH5, and passed to them by our Mods?

It is interesting that a contributor here https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Infinity-2-and-IPSEC-Issues/td-p/1298729 got (a different) VPN working only by removing BT kit (he seems to have tried HH5 and BT modems) and replacing them with a third party modem.

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 16

I appreciate this is an old thread and isn't directly related to my issue, but I'm also having VPN problems and BT seem to be clueless.

Since January 2015 my HH5 and VPN have worked perfectly, until yesterday and now I cann't get a VPN connection.  The problem appears to be inbound UDT packets being blocked, so although the connection is being made, my VPN client doesn't know that.

This is absolutely infuriating as everybody I speak to can't explain why or what has changed to cause this.

Unless it is resolved quickly, I also will be leaving BT, so I would appreciate ANY information on how to stop BT/BT HH5 blocking this traffic.

0 Ratings