cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Will_cain
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

VPN setup

Anyone got a good guide for a complete novice to set up a VPN.

Not sure if I want it on everything because of speed issues or just the more edgy PCs.

I've got a BT smart hub that looks llike it's geared up to do it but I'm loathe to dive in with VPN that is not compatible

Cheers

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: VPN setup

To be honest I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to achieve when you say "set up a VPN". A VPN is really just a secure method of passing traffic across an insecure network e.g., the Internet. Where are you trying to pass traffic between?

To be clear, the BT Smart Hub does not support or run any VPN software. It can forward traffic between two VPN end points e.g., a "head end" on the Internet and a host on your private LAN running an appropriate "VPN client", but other than forwarding the traffic it plays no role in the VPN itself.

In terms of different types of VPN, I've used L2TP, PPTP, SSTP and ESP over UDP successfully with the Smart Hub. There was an issue with using PPTP on an early version of the Smart Hub firmware that caused the Hub to crash, but that issue is resolved since the November 2016 release of the Hub firmware. 

If you can provide a little more detail on what you're actually trying to achieve, perhaps we can provide some more guidance.

Regards

0 Ratings
Will_cain
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response. Now I've had another look at the HUB I can see that the VPN bit only applies to "port Clamping" so my idea of installing VPN software is dead in the water. What I'm trying to do is to hide my IP address from nosey web sites. Obviously "free" is good but if that means that performance is rubbish then cheap will do

Cheers

0 Ratings
Will_cain
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Oh that's on Windows PC, Linux and Android phone
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@Will_cain wrote:

Thanks for the response. Now I've had another look at the HUB I can see that the VPN bit only applies to "port Clamping" so my idea of installing VPN software is dead in the water. What I'm trying to do is to hide my IP address from nosey web sites. Obviously "free" is good but if that means that performance is rubbish then cheap will do

Cheers

OK. To make sure clear.... you want to be able to connect from devices at home to any Internet web site, but those sites do not see the global IP address that's used on your Home Hub (or other router if not using the BT Hub).

If that's the case then you're looking for an Internet VPN / proxy. I don't have experience of them so can't really comment on which are good, bad or just plain ugly. I'd simply do a Google search and read people's comments on the services that you find.

One thing to be mindful of though is that, when using a VPN service, all your traffic goes through that service. That's obviously a great place for someone to capture it, change it or do what they want with it. What ever service you use, make sure you trust them or only use it for traffic you don't care about.

Regards

CH1NNV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just found this while I was searching for DD-WRT compatible routers.

Snoopers charter is as good a reason as any to hide all traffic, and the nothing to hide argument is N/A. I have nothing to hide but they have no lawful reason to see or log my traffic.

Anyhow, it's not compatible, the best two out there (IMO) are the Asus RT-AC5300 or the Netgear R7000.

You can use open source firmware to run on them, and a good VPN provider I personally use is NordVPN.

Hope this helps if you've not already found the solution you're looking for.
0 Ratings
mcilveen
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

Your post kind of sounds like what I'm trying to do. I have NordVPN but can't get it to work on my smart tv so think going via the router is my only option. 

I'm not tech savvy so apologies...From googling, does it work to just change the BT router or do you have to deal with the openreach modem as well?

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

You are posting on a thread that is over a year old so you may not get a reply from the contributors of the thread.

0 Ratings