cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 45

Vanishing emails

We have had a serious problem with vanishing emails. We don't use outlook express or any other email client etc. We only access our emails directly from our online BT Yahoo account. 

Around 18 January, we noticed suddenly that a couple of emails had vanished. We hadn't deleted them, they just vanished. Not in trash, spam etc. One minute they were there, the next they had disappeared. I contacted the BT yahoo team via the 'contact us ' online chat service and this was escalated to try and recover the emails. They were unable to recover them.

Then, suddenly, on Weds 30 January, a whole page of emails which I had previously deleted on 18 January and earlier reappeared in my inbox. Simultaneously, all our emails between 18 January and 30 January, disappeared. The emails disappeared from all our folders, including inbox and sent box. We now have absolutely no record of any email communications between 18 and 30 January, including emails archived for records.

It seems obvious that the yahoo attempt to recapture the original few vanished emails was somehow delayed, and on 30 January, the software 'recaptured' the account status as at 18 January, in an attempt to recover the deleted emails. This snapshot capture resulted in the loss of everything after that date.

When you request a recovery of emails, you have to tick a box as to why they've been lost. There are 3 options - 2 state that I accidentally deleted them -not true - and the other is that our account was hacked, also not true as BT had already confirmed that I had not been hacked. So none of these options were true and none allowed for me to suggest that it was a glitch with the Yahoo email recovery software.

We have lost some extremely important emails. I contacted BT Yahoo again who escalated the issue but constantly blamed me for the problem - they stated that I must have deleted the emails between 18 - 30 January, they must also believe that I somehow magically undeleted everything prior to the 18 January. 

Yahoo have been unable to recover my emails but have not offered any explanation of how it happened, other to blame me. If BT does not even consider that it may suffer from occasional software glitches, how can it hope to investigate and prevent a re-occurance. I have spent hours on this issue, becoming repeatedly frustrated with the wall of indifference I have been met with from the call centre.

Please can someone look into this? Or give me info on who I can contact to escalate this? 

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Message 2 of 45

Re: Vanishing emails

Welcome to the forum.

Just a quick Q; neither you nor anyone else who has access to this a/c accesses it via a smartphone/tablet and has ticked 'when deleted from device, delete from server' [or similar] have you?

This is essentially a customer to customer forum, although it does sound like you have found a route to have this investigated by Yahoo who host the BT e-mail service. 

I'm sure some Other posters will come along with a take on this for you.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 45

I too am experiencing similar problems - but worse!  Last Wednesday, when I switched on my computer, I found that all the 1200+ emails in my inbox had been transferred to Trash.  I laboriously transferred 400 page by page, intending to transfer the others on Thursday morning. 

However, when I switched on on Thursday, the 800+ emails BT Yahoo had transferred from inbox to Trash had disappeared!  Contacting Help resulted in a promise to try to restore my missing emails.  Far from doing so, this intervention has resulted in my losing the 400+ emails I had rescued from Trash, so that I am now left with only the emails sent from Thursday afternoon onwards.

To add insult to injury, I had been telephoned this morning to be told that my emails had been restored!  So, all the rigmarole has started again.  Needless to say I am not hopeful.

I too have been told that I must have deleted them (when I was fast asleep in bed!) and no-one will admit that there is some kind of systems error, so it seems to me that, without this admission, the problem never will be solved.

Looking back through earlier blogs makes it clear that emails being transferred into Trash and emails being deleted are not new or isolated problems.  I have not found a solution in the previous threads.  Can anyone help me and the initial member who reported the problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 45

I can't help with the basic problem but suggest that if no one else comes along with effective advice you should try the BT Care Team. They are the BT moderators who oversee this forum and will be able to look into this for you.

I don't want to appear trying be wise after event, but it's good practice not to rely completely on remote storage of important documents. You would do well to install an email client to download messages to your computer and include them in a backup regime. If you want, you can set the client to leave messages on the server and retain on the computer only those you really don't want to lose.

poppet, you don't have to move messages one by one if you do get them back. Check the box at the top of the list to select them all and then move them en masse.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 45

Thanks for your help.

Although it is probably academic now, but the emails in my Trash will only move into the inbox page by page, not all at once.  Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, I found this morning that all the emails I had myself put into Trash (from emails in the Inbox since last Thursday) had disappeared overnight.

I will wait until Monday, when BT have promised to come back to me again, and then contact the BT Care Team if, as I expect, my emails have not been restored.

I don't dispute the sense of your advice on back-up storage, but please remember that those of my advanced age came late to computing, and don't have a fraction of the knowledge you obviously have.  I do think we should be able to rely on service providers doing "what it says on the tin"!

Have a good day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 45

Doesn't the first column in your Trash folder look something like this?

Spoiler
Capture.JPG

If you check the box next to the flag all the messages become checked. Then you can click the Move option and put the lot elsewhere all at once. (I'm still using the old Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail as I didn't like the current one, but I would expect this facility to have been retained. Sorry if that's not correct.)

It's not surprising that messages have disappeared from Trash. They go there when deleted from the Inbox, either manually or when downloaded. They stay there for a little while until the system finally deletes them automatically; it gives you a chance to recover a message deleted from the Inbox accidentally. Yahoo! don't say exactly when the clear up occurs, but my Trash folder right now only contains today's deletions so maybe it's done on Saturday night.

I know that's all largely academic now but it's never too late to pick up info; I had been pensioned off before I ever used the internet. I'll never be an expert but it's surprising how much you can learn just by having a look. Smiley Happy

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 45

Poppet - I also am of advanced years and I can confirm that the BT Yahoo mail system does have some glitches.

I too have lost emails - completely gone walkabouts- and on the other hand I 've had emails that were posted 24 hours ago which never showed up when checking at various times throughout that period suddenly show up the next day.

Fortunately I have 2 other email accounts which dont display such quirkiness (though they do have other downsides, especially Hotmail (Spam), and gmail.(virtually Spam free)

Have a nice week-end.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 45

Wonders will never cease.  When I went back to my emails, the vanished mails had all come back into Trash!  I couldn't find the facility you mentioned in Trash, so have transferred them page by page into the Inbox (58 pages).

Now I have them back, can you please expand on how I back them up so that someone who is more or less computer illiterate can understand.

Sorry to put you to this trouble but I would be most grateful if you could before I lose them all again!

Incidentally, I have lost all emails since Wednesday, but I expected that as you are forewarned when you ask BT to restore.  It's a small price to pay if I can keep the others.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 45

To back up your emails you need an email client. That's a program which connects automatically to your email account so that you can send and receive messages on your computer without having to go to webmail. Thunderbird is a free email client and is widely recommended on this forum. Set-up advice is availble on the internet; I'm also asking one of the Community Leaders here to post a link to his own instructions with BT-specific advice.

You can set Thunderbird up to leave messages on the server. That would effectively mean that your email client and webmail would serve as backup for each other. If you already have a backup regime for your computer you can include the email client in that.

[EDIT: Blimey, that was quick!] 

--
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 45