cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fleurthedog
Beginner
Message 21 of 45

Re: Vanishing emails

Thanks for the clarification. What is POP? Is it the same as Thunderbird? 

And does anyone know how I can escalate my complaint - I have already been through the call centre escalation process to no effect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 45

Thunderbird is one of a number of free email clients (programs if you like) which link a computer or other device to the server. POP and IMAP are the two systems used for the link. POP is a straightforward connection from an individual device; IMAP allows connection from multiple devices and syncs the material between them. If you Google "pop vs imap" there's plenty of info.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
poppet1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 45

No idea what POP is.  I think it must be one of the options on Thunderbird, which doesn't allow you to do what you want to.

All I did was download Thunderbird from one of the sites Keith suggested.  I selected IMAP when prompted by the wizard, elected to keep my existing email address (rather than choosing a new one)  and it worked.  Thunderbird puts an icon on the start menu, so that you can easily access your emails, including all the restored old ones as well as those received since then.   

If you read through Keith's own link to his first post before you start Thunderbird, you should be okay.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 45

You're an adviser already, poppet! Now that you're up and running it's worth looking through the Thunderbird options to see what choices there are. Just to pick one example, you can set it to check for new messages automatically on opening rather than have to do it manually. You can also play about with the display to get something that suits. And lots more.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
fleurthedog
Beginner
Message 25 of 45

Many thanks. I'll have a look at Thunderbird, sounds like what we need.

I've not had any replies re how to escalate a complaint with BT. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 45

BT don't have much of a complaints procedure but you can get some options by clicking Contact BT at the bottom of this page > Complaints and compliments > Your products or services.

--
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 45

@fleurthedog wrote:

I'm probably sounding very thick, but is it possible to have an email client and still keep them accessible on yahoo?

Provided you use the IMAP server, its no problem at all. Its still a good idea to use the "archive" feature of Thunderbird, to archive any important stuff, and keep it locally on your computer.
You can easily change the location of "local folders" so it points to a different partition on your hard disk.
Its still important to remember to backup your own computer on a regular basis, so you do not lose the saved e-mails if your computer fails.

Message 28 of 45

Wow, what a great thread - lots of helpful advice and information.

I recently had to install a new mobo, and took the plunge from XP to Win7. No Outlook express of course, which is a mixed blessing, because once every 5 years it has gone berserk and lost vast chunks of data.

Thunderbird has been a bit odd for me. I first tried it just because many folk on this forum whom I trust recommend it, and installed it on an XP machine just to taste. No problem - POP set up. I use it as well as OE (main client - old habits die hard) and I just didn't have the time or will to investigate how to set up folders, filters etc on Tbird.

Then had to use it on the new Win7 system, and still haven't had time to set up those folders etc. But i could not set up POP. It just refused,or BTYapooh servers refused to talk to it.

So it's IMAP - that was easy - default automatic settings. But I still don't quite understand the synching and just where everything is stored and copied.

And it has trouble often saving a message in the Sent Folder. (Probably then fault of those accursed Yahoo mail servers that are so carp)

... oh dear this has rambled off topic. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 29 of 45

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@fleurthedog wrote:

I'm probably sounding very thick, but is it possible to have an email client and still keep them accessible on yahoo?

Its still important to remember to backup your own computer on a regular basis, so you do not lose the saved e-mails if your computer fails.

But not on a cloud! Local separate drive in your own home Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 45

Normally Thunderbird stores the mail in the default user profile, but the best option is to setup some Local folders, which is much more convenient, as you can change the location to wherever you want it, archives are also stored there as well.

So if your computer has two partitions, say C: for system and 😧 for data, then you can store your local folders in D:\mail.

The problem of saving sent messages can be overcome by changing the "sent" location, to a local folder, then every so often, copy them back to the main "sent" folder on IMAP.