Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pintosal
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Variable Speed on New Installation

Go to solution

On Tuesday afternoon this week I had Infinity installed, and after it was all reconnected the engineer ran a speed test.

The result was a pleasing 32Mb/s, up from 4Mb/s on the ADSL+

Thursday night at around 10pm I noticed that web browsing performance had deteriorated. It felt slower than when I was on the ADSL.

I ran the speed test a couple of times. I was using my desktopand which is connected to the Home Hub 3 with ethernet cabling. The speed varied between 9Mb/s down to 2.5Mb/s. Is this to be expected?

My understanding is that BT prioritise web browsing traffic, and so performance should not be impacted.

Does this indicate  a network problem, or are my expectations unrealistic?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
pintosal
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Variable Speed on New Installation

Go to solution

Saturday Morning Update

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 28340 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 28340 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1617 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1617 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2000 Kbps

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi

As you have only just had Infinity installed it would be best to wait as BT will not look any issues until 10 days have passed.

You could try resetting your vdsl modem and see what it re-sync'c at although your IP profile suggest its syncing at the high end off a 40 meg line, that is your decision to make if you want to try that.

I would give it a few more days and see if the line settles down first.  It should find the fastest most stable speed your line can support within 10 days.

Best off luck   

pintosal
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Ah, Thanks Nige32

I knew that with conventional ADSL/ADSL+ that the line needs time to settle down. I thought that with FTTC, as the distance to the cabinet was so much shorter than the distance to the exchange, that it would immediately settle.

However, even if it did need to settle, the variability in speed (32Mb/s versus 2.5Mb/s) does seem a bit extreme.

You also said You could try resetting your vdsl modem and see what it re-sync'c at I could see that powering off and on would reset the VDSL modem, but how do I measure the synch speed?

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi

When you run bt speed tester it shows you the max speed your line can support.

The IP profile in your case it would seem to at the high end, so if you reset the vdsl modem I guess it will still sync at the same max IP profile but your throughput speed may improve.

No guarantee though.

Also you are correct FTTC lines are supposed to settle within minutes sometimes but as your line has just been installed BT will not do anything until 10 days has gone past.

Of course you can still contact BT if your line stays at the very low speed you mentioned 2.5 mb download, they may well consider that to be unacceptably low and look into it.

As frustrating as it is try to give it a few days and see if the speed becomes more stable if not and it stays very low contact bt or try the forum team using this form click here .

It can take up to 3 days before the forum team respond