cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvidExpert
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Verbal Contract Broken TWICE!

I am having a very stressful time with this company, I first signed up over a year ago under a 12 month contract.

I signed up DEMANDING that when I was moving house I wouldn't have to pay the installation of £127 or whatever it is. The person on the phone made a VERBAL CONTRACT with me yet when I moved house I had to pay a further £127 to install again??

LIE NUMBER 1

I moved house yet again and was no longer under contract with bt so, having problems with the speed earlier I asked over the phone when going under a 16 MONTH contract if I didn't get a STABLE 5mb NON THROTTLED connection EVERY SINGLE day that I would go with another company, the man assured me we would get between 5~10 mb and it would go down to 1~3 rarely, I then went under contract for 16 months and I am now receiving a 1mb connection that is usually throttled to 100~300 kb/s. I phoned up to be told that there was a 1mb limit on the line and that NOTHING could be done, so bt, when do I file a law suit and contact EVERY fair trade service that exists? 🙂

QUOTE FROM OFCOM

Moving to a faster broadband package can help but you may not
always be able to get the higher speed because of where you live.
Your ISP should be able to let you know whether you can get a
higher speed package, and what the maximum speed your
particular line can get; and

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
AvidExpert
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Verbal Contract Broken TWICE!

No replies by a BT Mod yet? thats suprising! I wonder why....?

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

you are just another whinging customer, from bt's point of view, customers that are having problems, are problems and better ignored. or if all else fails, throw their terms and conditions at them, that'll shut em up.

Take it from me, save yourself a load of stress and just sit out the contract then leg it to another isp. you can keep ringing india and having the openreach engineers sent out, that costs them, not you so it's some kinda payback. you never know they might even find the culprit oscilator, hit it with a technical adjustment tool and get you a meg or so more..

0 Ratings
testdasi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I'm with Mike on this. I had to go through BT just because my current place phone line needs a reconnection (which means if I order from other services, they will have to go through BT anyway). And my order just sat there past the estimated completion date with nobody acting on it (and none knows why as well). So I had to cancel the old one and placed a new one. BT gave me the impression that they don't really want to get new customers and simultaneously want to get rid of old ones. Fair or not, that impression has been imprinted in my head after this whole ordering mess.

And very important: please never trust any verbal "contract" with any one (not just BT). Verbal commitments never hold up in court and are not enforceable. Everything must be in writing. If a John Nobody sale staff promises you something over the phone, even if you record the conversation, the company can simply shrug the tape off as not genuine or not valid. The firm's sale/promotion policy is in written form and will trump ANY verbal unverifiable promise.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 10

Hello AvidExpert,

I can look into this for you, can you email me your details at forum.moderation.team@bt.com? Can you please include a link back to this thread as well?

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Why does this sort of thing keep recurring on BT?

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 10

@computergeek

Don't get me wrong cg I'm not defending anybody here, when I say this......Smiley Happy

But it is a forum to sort out problems.......no?...

So...your gonna get a few that are peed off a bit.

After all there must be thousands and thousands out there struttin the BT stuff...

So you'll get a few on here.....i reckon. 😉   Besides what else would be be doing

if we weren't on here trying to help folks out....??   mmmmmm  the washing up maybe  Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

well some of us certainly wont be downloading any videos mate, washing up? Nah! I got a BT dishwasher for that, I set it up to work really slowly and stop working now and then at peek times 😉

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 10

So....ya don't suppose it's the BT dishwasher that's causing your broadband problems.....do ya???

I mean....they can be noisy things.....can't they.   Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

😄 and there was me thinking it was crappy cables and 50 year old tractors.

0 Ratings