cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stabard
Message 1 of 4

Very Old Phone lines

Could somebody point me in a good direction please.

My now elderly parents live in Coventry, just off the A45 in the heart of an urban area. You would think that broadband would not be an issue but it turns out the maximum speed on their line (by checking on the BT web site) is 0.5mb.  The measured speed at their house is actually half that!

Broadband is becoming an increasingly important part of their lives - they use it for online everything - and I wanted to try and work out what the problem was.

It looks like the actual reason is that they were one of the very first people to have a private phone in the area.  We are talking 35-40 years ago I guess.  It appears that to get them a phone back them BT stuck a pole up out the front of the house, strung some wires and 40 years later - they are the same wires! They have been diligent and faithful BT customers for 40 years, paying the bill every month, but because they were an 'original' customer this now seems to work against them.  A BT engineer suggested that if my parents were willing to pay several hundreds of pounds, BT might be able to resolve the problem.

So my question is - is there anywhere in BT we can talk to and discuss a modern phone line? It seems very unreasonable that a customer of 40 years gets a worse service than somebody who takes a line tomorrow and may move on again in 12 months!  Is there a group looking at these sorts of issues?

Infinity?  If only!

Lee G

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Very Old Phone lines

there may be some changes you can make which would help.  can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to show detail to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
stabard
Message 3 of 4

thanks for that - will do next time I am in Coventry.  Is definitely the line though.  BT's own web site states that it can only support  0.5mb when you type the phone number in.  We could probably get faster from Vodafone on 3G!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

If you already have a broadband connection, then BT's web site will simply report back the speed you are already getting. It doesn't tell you what you should get.

One thing worth doing is to use the normal land-line and dial 17070. Select option 2. There should be no noise on the line. this is best done using a wired phone, not a wireless DECT one in case there's wireless interference. If the line is noisy, report it as a phone line fault, not a broadband fault.
0 Ratings