cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirvycn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Very Slow Broad band after 5 years.

Long story short, had 8mb broadband for years. Always obtained 500-750kps download speeds. And now after calling BT they first told me the most my line could support was 1.7mb, despite the fact i tried to tell them i was getting 6000kps to 7500kps for the last 4-5 years.

They got me to replace the router, adsl sockets etc, and they asked me to plug my router to the BT test socked and wait 2 days, 5 days later im connected at 2-3mb maximum and still getting less than half my normal speed.

I now alternate between getting 2.43MBS or 1.70MBS on speedtests. Any help?

Router stats.

ADSL

TypeInterleave Path

StatusSHOWTIME

DownstreamUpstream

Data rate(Kbps)
3072Kb1139Kb

Noise Margin

Output power(dBm)

Attenuation(dB)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
nirvycn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Very Slow Broad band after 5 years.

BT speed test results. Bear in mind for 4-5 years i have been connecting at 3 times this speed 😞 Thx in advance for any help, i dont feel the BT indian call center is helping me much at all. Also they said something about my line speed increasing over time after they did some line tests, however i havent seen this happening, should i leave my router on 100% of the time? I think the call center is due to call me back tommorow evening to see if i have had an improvement - which i havent!

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2350 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :572 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 12.45:20.77:66.78 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

have you had an email in the last few weeks from BT advising you that the exchange was being upgraded to 21CN?

Have you been having disconnection problems with router resetting and/or have you been resetting therouter hoping to get your normal connection speed?  Are you connected to the master socket or better the test socket?

The recommendation is to leave the router connected 24/7

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nirvycn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the reply, no email as yet nope. Is their a way to tell if my exchange is this 21cn? I havent heard anything but dont really know.

To be honest for the last 5 years i turned my router off when my pc was off, its only recently i have been advised to leave it on 24/7 - although for 5 years of it being turned on and off daily it didnt affect my 7mb connection.

Im currently in the test socket, by taking the plate of the BT main port if thats the one? The BT call center asked me to do this. I have been resetting the router every few days to see if it connects at more than 2178kb, i guess i should leave it on all the time?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 5

The idea is to plug into the test socket .....

And don't keep resetting it .....   🙂

Give the connection chance to recover on its own ....  can take up to 5 days.  😉

And leave it connected 24/7

0 Ratings