cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Very Slow Broadband - Moderator Help Please

Go to solution

In the past (Mid 2010) I was getting over 1Mbps speed. BT line checker tells me I should be able to get 1-3Mbps.

Most recent BT speed check on the line shows:

Download 239Kbps Acceptable speed range 50-500Kbps

Profile 350Kbps

DSL download 544Kbps Upload 448Kbps

I month ago I called BT to ask them to check the line and raise the profile. It was briefly raised to 750Kbps and speed improved for a while but seems to have quickly been reduced to 350Kbps.

I have option 2 with 40GB allowance but at these speeds obviously get nowhere near using the allowance.

I checked on Sam Knows and noted that the exchange (Bramley) has recently unbundled with Talk Talk. Could this have led to a speed reduction for those with BT? 

I cannot understand:

1. Why my profile is so low and has been reduced (I have not been rebooting my BT Homehub)

2. Why the overall speeds this year are so much slower than 2010.

Note that I have tested the speed regularly and have used a wired connection to my Hub, which is connected to my master socket, with a recently-fitted BT accelerator.

Speeds of 200-300Kbps render apps like iplayer useless and mean that downloads take hours and days (for films). Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Very Slow Broadband - Moderator Help Please

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the forums

A couple of points from your post talk talk unbundling would have had no effect at all
also although you may not have rebooted the home-hub it may have rebooted itself at any time this would have caused an ip profile drop which has reduced your download speed

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for your quick reply and helpful tips.

I tried the noise test and confirmed that the noise level was very low.

RogerB's thread makes depressing reading. For those of us that live in areas of relatively low population density it confirms that we are almost powerless to influence BT. Ulimately BT will prioritise based on the number of users and commensurate number of complaints. Even where individual problems are fixed they seem to quickly return to the previous unsatisfactory state. I am sure that one day my local exchange will be upgraded - but probably not within the next 5 years.

One final question - based on my limited knowledge of LLU I understand that the operator installs their own equipment in the exchange, but presumably use the same lines from the exchange to the local cabinet and obviously from the cabinet to the private residence. Is the fact that they use their own (new) equipment likely to have a material impact on overall speed?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
New operator has tested line and claims up to 10 meg. They don't have a great customer service reputation but hard to see how they could be worse than BT. I will take my chances.

Rang BT and after being cut off 4 times I have finally given up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Sorry to here you are moving do please remember your new provider will be using the same copper pair from your exchange to your home also still maintained by OPENREACH so until any line issues are resolved your problems are very likely to follow you also if you were to post your hub stats as suggested then more advice could be given regarding your max possible speed
0 Ratings
wwjdy00
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

There are many issues that can slow down bb,But by far the most common is ac inductance.A telephone line traditionally(for ease sake)comes into the front door,then there may be say 4 extensions wired in the house,the cabling is normally standard telephoney cable that runs in loft spaces over lighting, sockets are traditionally sometimes fed down the same trunking or very close to power.Every time that light is switched on or socket is used it can interfere with the bb signal.That can induce errors onto the bb signal that build up this inturn will filter through to the bras(download speed) and slow it right up.You can get those errors reset and for a few weeks/days it will be faster but sure enough those errors will build up and slow it down again.BB cable is very high quality with very tight twists to even out any inductance issues so if it is on an extension lead (diy type) this is just 4 straight wires with no twists at all so this will pick up all inductance.

If you phone the helpdesk they will tell you to plug your router into the main socket this will help But if you have not disconnected the extension you will still be picking up inductance issues.

Its a totally unscientific survey but it wouldnt suprise me if over half the population with bb are running at slower speeds that they should get due to house inductance.

Hope this helps to explain a little on how bb works 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
My local exchange has now become unbundled so the new provider will be using their own equipment. According to Sam Knows BT's max speed is 2 meg and my new provider claims to have a max speed of 11 meg. Regardless of the quality of the exchange to cabinet and cabinet to house connection that should deliver a significant improvement. I hope the competition spurs BT to invest in semi-rural exchanges like mine.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Hi there is consent investment in bts infrastructure unlike other providers who pick the exchanges they wish to unbundle Bt ( Openreach & Bt Wholesale ) have over 5500 exchanges thousands of street cabinets and several million miles of cabling to provide and maitain for Bt retailand all other comms providers to use onto of this a multi billion pound investment in fibre technology upgrading exchanges is being done on a roll out basis and all exchanges will be upgraded over the next few years
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
As a long-standing BT customer and shareholder I hope that BT is successful. If the commercial terms of LLU and other arrangements are not viable then like any large corporation they need to lobby to get these amended. My decision is purely based on my need for a reasonable broadband speed. The other provider may turn out to be no better but it's worth a try.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
May I wish you luck with your new supplier if you care to post your current hub stats we can give you an accurate speed based on your line attenuation which may help you should you have future problems
0 Ratings