cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Very disappointed with BT

As a long time BT Broadband customer, I decided to upgrade to infinity, to be able to get the extra channels.

My current option 1 broadband suited my needs perfectly well, but I realised I could not have the extra channels without infinity.

I knew about the fact that BT do not support a wireless set up, due to reading  all the complaints over the forum sites, but as my youview setup uses an Ethernet and HDMI wired set up, I did not foresee any problems, and just to confirm this, when I ordered  over the phone, I stressed that I did not want any internal wiring issues, such as wires tacked to skirting boards etc, and was told that there should be no problems such as this, as all the engineer had to do inside the house was changed the front on the phone line socket as it comes in the house.

The engineer came at the agreed time, and instantly said that not only had the socket to be modified, but the existing phone line wire from the box to the router could not be used, and would also have to be changed. This required tacking the new wire to skirting boards, round  two door frames and drilling through a wall!

I was not prepared to accept this, or take the chance that it might work using wi-fi powerline adapters, and he said that he gets lots of similar situations to mine where customers decline to have infinity installed on the day due to similar situations such as mine

Why was I not told this when ordering ordering, especially as I stressed at the time that I did not want any internal wiring changes!....this shows a definite lack of product knowledge by BT staff, who obviously need some training.

In this day and age, BT should have a wi-fi set up, similar to sky to do away with the need for a wire between the phone socket and the router.

I will therefore be looking at alternative providers when my contact is up for renewal shortly.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
clairelouise2
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Very disappointed with BT

Infinity can be used wirelessly. While you may not get the full advertised speed, it still works.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Without having seen your present set up and where you wanted the Homehub placed it would be very difficult for any advisor to know what would be required to install your equipment.

Obviously the Openreach engineer, assuming it was Openreach and not a contractor, would have given the best advice but I don't see how he could not have converted your present phone socket that your present homehub is plugged into, to become your master socket and plugged your new homehub into that which would have allowed you to connect your devices as you do at present.

I think that you will find that even Sky have to plug the router into the phone socket and that it is not done wirelessly.

0 Ratings
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

It was a contractor, rather than an openreach engineer who came to do the installation.

Initially, when I ordered this over the phone, there was talk of 'self installation', which apparantly is now being rolled out. BT did however decide to send an engineer. What would have happened if I had been left to do the job myself?....would I have needed to change the phone line socket myself?....if not, what was the engineer talking about by saying he needed to do this and then provide a new wire from the socket to the router?

Also, as far as sky is concerned, my son has a wireless link,provided by sky, from his phone socket to his router in another room, so why can't BT do this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

When did they do the job, as its confusing, as you say your contract is coming to an end?

"I will therefore be looking at alternative providers when my contact is up for renewal shortly."

If the installation was recent, then you would have another 12 or 18 months left to go.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

If you were to do a self install you would have had to plug the Homehub into the master socket via a filter if the existing socket was not a filtered one. However BT obviously recognised that this was not an option for you, probably because of the information you gave them, hence they sent an installer.

The installer would appear not to have been very good at his job or not prepared to do any extra work because as I have already said, an Openreach engineer would have converted your existing extension socket into your master socket if that was what was required and if that was not possible he would have ran new cables.

As you do not want the homehub installed beside your present master socket and if the extension socket can not be converted to become the master socket and you are not prepared to have wires run from the master socket to where you want the homehub situated if that is what is needed there is not much else could be done.

I don't have Sky or know much about it but I think that you will find you are wrong about your son's set up. He may well have the router sited away from the master socket but it will not be done wirelessly without some other "box" being connected to the master socket.

0 Ratings
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Thanks GG30340 for your advice,

You are correct....when I checked my son's sky set up, the router is wired to the phone socket, and then wirlessley linked to the sky box in another room.

What I can't undertand is why BT have to change the main, and only phone socket in the house, and then have to rewire the socket to the hub?...why does the socket need attention?....and then when it has been altered does it need a wire with different connections...is that why the standard socket wire is not reusable?

Thanks

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

If you only have one phone socket in your house this will be your "master socket". Infinity has to be connected to your master socket in order to work. A possible reason that it may need changed could be because it is not a filtered faceplate. see link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40231/~/check-your-wiring-and-set-up#ssfp

If you do not want your Homehub beside the master socket the only way to move it is to run a wire from the master socket to where you would like the Homehub to be sited. There is no other way to do this. The Homehub can not connect wirelessly to the master socket.

If you already have an extension phone socket where you would like the homehub sited it may be possible for the engineer to change the extension socket into the master socket using the existing wires, but that would be up to the enginer to decide after inspecting the wires and how the extension socket is presently connected up.

I'm sure that if you got a competent Openreach engineer he/she would be able to install BT Infinity and site the homehub where you want it albeit he may need to run some new cable to achieve this.

If you are happy to have the Homehub sited where the master socket is you could use a wireless connection or powerline adaptors to connect to your Youview box and other computer equipment. This set up uses the electrical wiring in your house and does away with the need to run wires about the house.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14271/~/powerline-adapter-user-guides

0 Ratings
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

Thanks GG30340, after looking at your links I now understand.

My main phone socket is the old type with 1 connection and without an inbuilt microfilter, and so the engineer was going to have to replace this with a newer version with the inbuilt filter, which has 2 connections....one for the phone, and a separate one for the homehub, which is why he was was saying he would have to run a new wire to the homehub, whilst leaving my original phone wire untouched. It's a shame neither BT or the engineer explained this properly, as it would have saved a lot of inconvneience.

Why can't the system work with just one wire and an in-line microfilter, as it had done previously?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Without getting technical, Infinity works differently from your present ADSL hence the need to change the face plate etc.

0 Ratings